Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How does the Lunt 100mm (vs 80mm) perform in average UK conditions?

MakeItSo

Hi Everyone, 

I am interested in peoples opinions regarding the 100mm Lunt - (specifically the Lunt 100mm H-alpha Telescope B1800 blocking filter) for imaging. I have a 60mm and would like to upgrade, but just as I was about to pull the trigger, I found one thread suggesting that the 100mm struggles with UK conditions. Because of where I lived when I started AP I am much more active on CN and unfortunately sourced all my advice over there; I should have got opinions here on SGL. 

My question is therefore a relatively broad one - for solar imaging in the UK, would an 80mm scope be a better option? I am keen on the added resolution of the 100mm but if its a waste, then it would be good to know. Ultimately I will double stack whatever option I take. 

Thanks for reading, 

Simon

• Like 1

I have the 60, like yourself. In previous browsing I have often read that the increase to 80 is barely noticeable, whilst the increase to 100 would be.

However that's without adding in the UK atmospheric conditions. Perhaps the folk on solarnut would be a better place for the question. I think more than a few on there use the larger version, and are located in the UK.

• Like 1

I don't do imaging but I visually use a 150mm Ha telescope at a minimum of 150x magnification.  As with most telescopes, on a good day I get a good image, on a poor day the image is poor but still acceptable.  Ha is a little more forgiving of seeing conditions than in a standard telescope.  You can always stop a larger telescope down!    🙂

Edited by Peter Drew
  • Like 2