NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Portable mounts

Hi All 

I will be buying a portable GOTO mount ... the trouble is i have three choices . The SW star Discovery mount , The AZ-GTi ( ive had a couple of these before) or the AZ-Gte. 

Now i know the GTe doesn't have freedom find ... for me that's not really a problem , I know the star Discovery cannot be converted into a mini EQ mount but the mount looks a bit more , shall we say robust . The key factor is , these mounts are all controlled by the Synscan App , which i think is brilliant . I can buy an Az-Gti on its own and add my own tripod .

Anybody help me decide on any of the three mentioned above ?

Regards 

Stu 

29 minutes ago, knobby said:

My vote is for the AZ-Gti, but you've had 2 before ... what made you change ?

Hi , i had one which was faulty ... and 2 which were great ... but i was "sucked " into the EQ  heavy mounts that are fantastic but i have to say literally weighed me down . 

So , i'm changing ... not for the first or last time . :)

I've not seen the GTe as a stand alone item 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 1

Hi Knobby , i'm impressed to say the least .  i have two mounts in my " basket " on FLO and 2 at the Widescreen Centre ( i know the people that run that company ) so , whatever happens i will be buying imminently . I missed a really clear night last night because i got home in the dark , very tired  and literally couldn't be bothered to haul out the EQ mount and set it up ! i felt really guilty about that as i am always moaning that we have too few nights to observe , so i really hope to make the most of the freedom a small goto mount will provide again . 

The old saying about the best scope is the one you use is also true when it comes to mounts ! for me anyway lol

• Like 1

It really depends on what scope you plan to use with those mounts you've listed.

If it's an 80mm or smaller ed doublet or a 5-inch mak, any of them would be fine although my vote would go to az-gti. For larger scopes, the load capacity might be inadequate. Personally I've been using the ES iEXOS-100 PMC8 as my portable goto mount for visual. It works well with my apm 107.

Yes , knowing the payloads on these mounts is critical for a good experience of viewing . I understand the star discovery has a payload of actually 6kgs not the 5kgs listed , but , as we know we have to aim below that limit . I like the look of the Az-GTi better than the star discovery as it looks even more portable . And I can change the tripod to a 3/8 steel one if necessary if of course stock ever reappears  ( more money ) . I have a 127 SCT and I’m getting a short tube frac ( of course if stock ever reappears ) I will take photos which is I suppose another plus to the GTI or GTe as I can get a skywatcher wedge ( if stock ever reappears) . I have been through aperture fever and now realise that a large dobsonian or reflector on a large mount in my light polluted garden is not the way to go. So I’ve found my niche ( hopefully) ... of course , if stock ever reappears lol 

Another curve ball just thrown into the mix is the nexstar series .. but of course I already have a 127 SCT .. The 5* nexsrar even has a built in wedge ( I know it’s not as accurate as a proper EQ mount) and it comes in a very portable package . 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie