Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guiding

Im hoping to start guiding for the first time next time i get out... My setup is a SW evoguide 50ed, asi 120mm-s, i am lost on what settings i use in phd2.... Ive done a lot of reading but ive got all confused on what i should be doing.. I just havent got a clue... 

Leave the settings as default for the first time. When you're all connected up and focused (Focus doesn't need to be pin sharp, a little blurry is fine for guiding) you want to Auto Select Star and then hold Shift and click Begin Guiding (Green Target Icon). This will start to calibrate for you. It will basically move the mount around in a N, S, E and W motion and measure your mounts tracking and backlash, etc.

I'd recommend when that part has finished, using the Guide Assistant. (Tools - Guide Assistant) Let it run for around 5 minutes and it will do extra measurements on your mount. When it has finished, it will give you the option to apply recommended settings for your mount.

That should get you started. In the meantime, I recommend going on YouTube and watch a load of videos on PHD2 Guiding. Learn while you wait, that's what I did. I'm still learning myself.

I'm sure others will be along with better advice shortly. 👍

Edited by Jamgood
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Anthony1979 said:

Im hoping to start guiding for the first time next time i get out... My setup is a SW evoguide 50ed, asi 120mm-s, i am lost on what settings i use in phd2.... Ive done a lot of reading but ive got all confused on what i should be doing.. I just havent got a clue... 

As @Jamgoodsay's, set mine up last Friday as above and managed two 5 min exposures before the clouds came back.

1334663665_StarfieldPUAurHD34269-1.thumb.jpg.42268bbbcef1564e3aecf3705335f60c.jpg

Edit The above is unguided at 60's after sharpcap polar alignment, I then went on to try guiding with phd, which I managed for 5mins, but skies were still light anf the clouds came in,

Edited by Nicola Hannah Butterfield