Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Laser Collimator question

I've just picked up a 2nd hand Baader Laser Collimator. It's in good shape but when I turn it on the laser glows a bit but the beam does not seem very bright at all - no red dot on a wall a couple of feet away for example. I'm assuming that the batteries are flat - it looks easy to leave it switched on unknowingly. Am I right in this assumption and expecting normally to see a strong point of light emitting from it ?.

John

I've put some new batteries in mine now and it's OK but not anywhere as powerful as James's one. Sounds like he's got the light sabre version !.

At least I've been able to collimate with mine now.

Thanks for the replies folks.

John

Sounds like he's got the light sabre version !.

I thought that was normal... :?

Perhaps more recent models are of a slightly lesser output? I must admit, ever since I realsied just how far the lasr could be seen I've been awfully careful it doesn't shine into my eyes!

James

• 3 months later...

I had got new batteries of a site that said they were the equivalent toi the AG13 batteries that came with the collimator. They were ... not good. Very dim. so bad I put the old batteries back in. Did for a while but then Like a numpty left the thing on. Doh!

Just got a batch of AG13s and they are the business. I used this site: AA AAA Rechargeable batteries CR2032 AG13 AG1 AG3 AG4 AG10 battery

and got 12 (yeah prob over kill) posted inc for £2.10.

So if anyone suffering from a dim lazer check you got right batteries.

Brian

I had a different make of collimator that went faint because the laser unit inside had been knocked out of position and wasn't shining properly through the aperture. So if new batteries don't solve it I'd advise you to check the alignment, John - maybe a good idea in any case, especially if it's second hand.

I had a different make of collimator that went faint because the laser unit inside had been knocked out of position and wasn't shining properly through the aperture. So if new batteries don't solve it I'd advise you to check the alignment, John - maybe a good idea in any case, especially if it's second hand.

Good suggestion :)

The advice that comes with the Baader laser collimator is not to touch the collimation of the unit - but as the on/off button started playing up as well I felt I had nothing to loose by having a go. The laser unit is held in place by 6 grub screws, 3 at each end and it's adjustments to these that alter the alignment of the laser beam.

The shape of the Baader unit (ie: non-symmetrical) makes it very difficult to make a holder for the unit while you collimate the beam and then rotate the unit around it's axis to check the collimation accuracy. In the end I took the objective lens cell out of my Vixen refractor and used the scope tube and focusser (minus the diagonal) to hold and aim the collimator at a piece of paper on a wall about 30 feet away.

By marking where the laser hit the paper, then rotating the collimator 90 degrees, marking again, and repeating this, I found how far the beam was off the axis by mapping it's "wobble". By graduall adjustments of the beam using the grub screws I adjusted the wobble out so the beam remained more or less stationary on the paper as the collimator was rotated. Bingo !.

So I reckon my collimator is now in reasonable collimation itself but it has been rather a hassle to achieve and ........ the batteries have gone flat again :D

At least the batteries are easy to fit !.

John

Archived