NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SWMBO has finally given in

dark knight

:) Well she who must be obeyed has finally given in. Permission to construct roll off roof observatory granted. Just need a good design and funds and I'm away. one quick question, what is the ideal height for the side walls? OTA will be pier mounted, pier will be constructed by a mate so height can be anything I want. Will a 6x5 shed as a starting point be adequate? OTA is a SW200p.

if its for imaging it can be narrow but if you want to do visual it will need a bit more space

my obs is for imaging and is 12ft long and just over 6 ft wide with a warm room at one end...toasty :)

if i had wanted to do visual i think 8ft wide minimum as you need more space than you think

you might want to pm plastic chicken as i have seen his and it is about the perfect size for visual and imaging

steve

I built mine from scratch - its 1.8m by 3.5m internally, and currently houses a EQ6, with either a ZS66, Astro Pro 102ED, GSO 6" newt or GSO 8" newt. Its big enough for all of those, but I would have preferred it to be a bit wider for visual observing.

The other thing I would consider (which I didn't!) is a flap to drop down to the southern aspect to shoot those nice low targets in Sagitarius - currently I have to open the door for that!

Oh, thats another thing - a nice wide door is a good bet - makes it easier to take kit in and out - mine is a metre wide.

You can see images of the obs going up step-by-step here: http://www.deepsky.org.uk/equipment/observatory.shtml

One thing that I had to do to gain permission was to replace the old shed, as the obs was going in the same place - hence the roll-off area was built as a shed - its still having a few teething troubles, but it does work. I am going to have to redo the roof in the summer....

It certainly isn't going anywhere in the meantime though!

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Richie

Archived