Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY Remote Flat Panel

Starflyer

If your after a flat, even illumination, that isn't too bright and works ok for all filters, then have a look for an Electroluminescent panel e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=electroluminescent+panel&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_PrefLoc=1&_fsrp=1&rt=nc&Colour=White&_dcat=112581 

I bought one from ELWirecraft directly some years ago, and find its excellent.

As I use it 'manually' I've never felt the need to remotely control it, but with an arduino nano & some switching components, it would be easy to do... 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

If your after a flat, even illumination, that isn't too bright and works ok for all filters, then have a look for an Electroluminescent panel e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=electroluminescent+panel&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_PrefLoc=1&_fsrp=1&rt=nc&Colour=White&_dcat=112581 

I bought one from ELWirecraft directly some years ago, and find its excellent.

As I use it 'manually' I've never felt the need to remotely control it, but with an arduino nano & some switching components, it would be easy to do... 

Thanks Julian, I should have mentioned that it's for my 10" newt, it'll be mounted on my obsy wall. Looking at the price of Electroluminescent panels at that size I may try a tracing pad first.

I'm also wondering how big the panel will need to be to give even illumination from around two feet away.

For a 10" coverage, and something that fills the viewing circle, you're probably looking at an A3 size panel.... 

As my my EL panel isn't as bright as an LED panel, I can just put the panel on all my scopes from the ED80 up to the 250 newt.

I have tried an LED panel, but don't use it, as LED's produce uneven illumination, made worse when the light output is reduced... 

• Like 1