NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New camera

I don't have a lot of experience with different cameras, but reached the conclusion that unless you can afford a cooled dedicated camera that a DSLR is better value.

I got a second hand modded Canon DSLR for <£150 and it's done well to get me started. I'll probably stick with it until I convince myself that I can spend £800 or so on a cooled OSC dedicated camera.  

Canon also seems to have good support, but I use astroberry, so not sure about APT. Have you looked at https://github.com/vtorkalo/ASCOM.DSLR ? 

I've found it hard to get a lot of info on how older vs newer DSLRs perform. It's clear that the newer sensors are better, but I have a suspicion they're not as much better as the multiple in price! 

Edited by rnobleeddy

I recently went down this route and came to the same conclusion as @rnobleeddy . I looked at the non-TEC cooled dedicated astro cameras and was strongly advised to spend the extra and go for TEC cooled, which were all well out of my price range. So after a lot of research and checking the second hand marked, I decided to go with a modded DSLR.

I went for a Canon EOS 1300D from Juan at Cheap Astrophotography because it was a good price, modded by someone with a good reputation and I've always had Canon in the past. The 1300D was second hand but there isn't a mark on it and it came with charger & two batteries. It also works with APT.

Juan has new and used Canon's for sale or you can buy your own and send it to him for conversion.

Unfortunately my 1300D came with clouds in the box, so tonight is the first time I've been able to use it. I've take 30+ 300 second images of the Californian Nebula and the nebulosity is showing in the subs, which wouldn't have the case with my un-modded EOS 2000D I was using. The night's still clear so I've Swapped onto M31 for 30 x 120 second images before bed. :D   

• Like 1