NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moonlite upgrade questions.

I've been in discussion with Ron at Moonlite in an attempt to sort out issues I'm having with my Moonlite focuser on my Tak 180.  I have the older 2.5" Moonlite CRL focuser and Ron has offered to do an upgrade to the new high capacity body style with C-axis collimation design and bigger bearings.  I'm keen to get this done.

I was wondering if anyone has done this; how you posted it eg RM or DHL etc; and did you get charged customs?

Thank

Adam.

I'd like to hear experiences too. This must be a fairly common thing but I've only gone to Ron direct once, my experience once on the uk side to get it delivered to me put me off a bit.

I was in the same dilemma a few years ago when I wanted to convert my focuser/rotator from SCT to RC. If I remember right, when I originally bought it Ron used USPS which was handled here by Parcelforce. Think they gave me a bill of just under £300 for customs etc. to release it when I originally bought it at around $1350. The exchange rate was much better then too. In the end I decided not to send it for the mods & just buy another Moonlite from FLO at £350 as chances are if I got clobbered again its not much more! I'd hope the process is much easier now. Even though my email & phone details were on it Parcelforce only contacted me by letter adding an extra week to the wait time and they didn't even deliver it! I had to go into their depot, a round trip of some 40 odd miles, with ID etc to pay for it and collect it. 

• Like 1

I haven't ever sent stuff back to Moonlite, but did order a focuser flange direct from Moonlite last year after I'd previously ordered one which didn't fit via FLO.  The error was entirely my fault, what was delivered was exactly what I'd ordered, but I'd ordered the wrong thing.

So, I contacted Ron with photos and Measurements and I ordered from him directly as I'd had an email dialogue with him to identify the correct part.

The item arrived really quickly (within 3-4 days if I recall correctly, but I'd forgotten to take the VAT and handling charges into account and so the flange cost me about £30 more than it would have done if I'd have ordered from Auntie FLO, so lesson learned.

If I was ordering again, I'd contact FLO about ordering and accept that I'd probably need to be patient whilst the items come across from the US as I was informed that the orders go through from FLO in batches for items that aren't in stock, which is totally understandable.

I'd recommend contacting FLO as a Moonlite supplier to see if this service is something that they might be able to assist with organising.

They might not be able to help, but it's worth asking the question.

• Thanks 1

Just to update - FLO don’t directly deal with this understandably.  Ive just sent the package via FedEx which was not only the cheapest but also the fastest, and due to be there on Thursday!!  I’ve insured it for the full amount to replace should it get lost or damaged - 2kg package £52.

Its a large format focuser so cheaper to repair than buy new.  It’s a repair rather then purchase so hopefully won’t attract import tax.

Regards

Adam  

• 3 weeks later...

My focuser arrived back today.  I went with a violet body colour.   It didn't attract any extra custom charges - so it was £205 total for the repair/upgrade (that includes postage both ways).  I havent seen the 2.5" CRL for sale in the UK, but I suspect it would be around £500.  This has been setup by Ron so I'm hoping the Takahashi will like it.

Here is a video of the upgrade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWMQh6OvpJc&t=6s

IMG_3400.thumb.jpg.57f5554af7b5f12f9824aa80ff3444dd.jpg

IMG_3398.thumb.jpg.df1b95aa103ccc9a10d778347815cde3.jpg

IMG_3399.thumb.jpg.c794d5540693f41cd73bc36435a681c8.jpgIMG_3396.thumb.jpg.4854ce53cf38c89fbf851438b6e583f7.jpg

IMG_3397.thumb.jpg.a2eb307372f4b572ae121dd07df687fe.jpg

• Like 3