Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Very 1st Venus taken with DSLR Nikon D80

dark knight

Well done on getting it posted here.

It looks like you have over exposed it, but that's an easy thing to do with Venus. It is such a bright planet.

The focus could be off too, but hey, it's a start, and with a bit of practice, you will get there.

Don't be afraid to take a number of exposures, and use different timings.

Also, when you post an Image, try to include the details of the scope, what imaging method you used IE Barlow, eyepiece, prime focus. Exposure time. This will help others to guide you, and help you get it better.

Keep trying.

Ron. :)

Thanks Ron, I was so engrossed in getting the image up I forgot about the important stuff. Yes it is well over exposed, I used Raw, ISO 800, 30sec exposure, 2x barlow, 20mm eyepiece all done afocal projection. Think ISO 200 and 1sec would have been better. The main goal though was testing the tracking of my mount to see if it would hold for 30secs and I was pleasantly surprised with the Eq5synscan considering the flex put on the OTA by the Nikon D80. A positive then from a negative so to speak. Beauty of digital of course is no wasted film thankfully.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow you applied DSO techniques to planetary. Your tracking must be pretty good to hold this magnification for 30 seconds, cool! Though you may find it easier to do planetary captures with a webcam by stacking hundreds of frames.

Regards,

Vincent.

Archived