Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet 2020 M3 (Atlas) in Lepus

Mike JW

• 4 weeks later...

Great comet shots guys! No chance here at the moment. Is this one moving quite quickly? It seems to have moved from star-poor to star-rich and back to star-poor regions in just a few days. I do like the wide FOV in Orion.  Certainly the core motion in 2 minutes looks quite substantial in Mike's last shot. 

Martin

1 hour ago, Martin Meredith said:

Is this one moving quite quickly?

It is.  If I simply use Jocular to play my 20 second subs then I’m watching a movie...

...any chance to output this from Jocular as an animated GIF?

Edited by AKB
  • Like 1

Thanks to @Martin Meredith's exceptional speed and prowess with Jocular development / Python / kivi / ... I can present a movie of the other night's comet capture.

As an apology, I'd just mention that it was very windy and my star shapes/focus are usually better than this!

Further thanks to Martin for providing us with such a super EEVA tool.

Tony

106740773_C2020M321Nov20_16_12_12.gif.45cc04757dac90a7707ce0eb77c0106f.gif

Edited by AKB
  • Like 4

More the prowess of the open source world!

I think animation is also useful for anyone coming at EEVA afresh to see the kind of rubbishy subs we often have to deal with, and how the magic of stacking & sub deselection can still lead to useful observations.

The distribution on the Jocular thread has been updated to include this feature.

Martin

• Like 1

Sorry about this. It's getting repetitive.

I, too, could not resist a look at Comet C/2020 M3 ATLAS. It was certainly not in Lepus last night. And I wanted to have a go with Jocular 0.3 and try the gif feature. So I'm afraid it's a jump on the bandwagon ten minute time-lapse of the comet.

630142279_CometC2020M3ATLAS23Nov20_11_42_33.gif.9c5e9fa18933991101a73c248ce2a61c.gif

I did have a look at some other things as well.

Regards

Bill

• Like 5

Mesmerising!

I know almost nothing about variable stars but I wonder if there are any really fast variations (though not so fast as the Crab pulsar) that could be visualised using this approach? Likewise, occultations by things other than our moon. Motion of the moons of Jupiter? How many pixels/minute? (displaying my ignorance here!)

Martin

I wonder if there are any really fast variations [...] that could be visualised using this approach?

Satellites, for example ...?

581573595_C2020M323Nov20_13_05_00.gif.63390b4ecfc8c3c78d0d30c812be7299.gif

Edited by AKB
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Caught up, once again, with C/2020-M3 (ATLAS).

Now in Aurega, near to HD 34425.  It seems to be a very pretty area of the sky, with a lovely linear string of stars nearby.  Harder to see the moevement, now, this is 20 x 20s images stacked, but over a total period of about 10 minutes.

I've also added a snap from Pretty Deep Maps, in the region of the grid square where it is.

I/m sure I should know, but can anyone enlighten me as to two things:

1. the SEI 178 designation
  2. the meaning of 8.3 | 11.7 | 25.6" | B5 next to HD 34425 A

Thanks for any insights!

Tony

C_2020_M3_ATLAS_12Dec20_18_09_07_Annotated.thumb.jpeg.552c3851df3c2656b21334dc07f6e9e5.jpeg

533490064_Screenshot2020-12-12at19_52_08.thumb.png.c066151f89497c2dca8019c74e32ef8b.png

• Like 2

Hi Tony,

You are into doubles territory. SEI 178 is its Washington Star Doubles Catalogue designation and refers to its discoverer - J Scheiner.

Companion A (primary) has a mag of 8.3, its companion B has a mag of 11.7 and they are separated by 25.6 arc seconds - thus 8.3|11.7|25.6. The current separation (just checked) is actually 25.4" (measurement taken in 2015).

Your image has captured this double rather well and oh there is a comet as well - great to see it again - I had forgotten all about it with this long run of poor weather.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike

Thanks so much for the concise and highly informative reply.  I feel much better educated, now.  Doubles are something that I, er..., um..., haven’t yet ‘done’, really.  I’ll add them to the list  

Tony

Hi Tony

Mike explained it well. Just to add that the B6 at the end is the spectral type of the primary. Stellar  'infolines' give a variety of information, the meaning of which you can find in this document:

technical.pdf

It really is a beautiful star field around the comet and that line of stars really stands out.

cheers

Martin

• Thanks 1

a variety of information, the meaning of which you can find in this document:

Ah yes, thanks, I did read that (honestly) when I first installed PDM... but there’s such a wealth of information there that I must have mentally filed bits of it in the ‘not needed on voyage’ suitcase.   Now, clearly, on a slightly different voyage, and I did need that bit.

Thanks again.