NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

True-Tech Motorised Filterwheel - Do you own one ?

ribuck

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had my filters about 4-5 months, but they are the cheaper set. The older set which were about £75.

I just measured them and not including the depth of the screw threads they appear to have a depth of about 7.5mm.

I think they will be ok, i think it's just down to the current wheel which seems to have a good 1 - 1.5mm slop in it, hence causing filters to catch.

Hopefully the new wheel will be fine and this wont be an issue.

Well i got the the new filter wheel trough, thanks to nick at true-tek, he was good to his word at sending a replacement asap.

The new wheel is far better build with more soldid feel an no slop like the last wheel, but the filter are still catching.

So i can definately confirm that the cheaper Baader LRGB set does not fit this wheel to my dismay.

So i'm left with the following options unless anyone can think of some other way out of this predicament.

1) Send Wheel back - (Which is a shame as i like the option for 2" later on).

2) Grind down the fitler - (Not keen on this idea full stop)

3) Buy new filterset (I dont have £200+ spare, and i may want to go to 2" filters early next year when i buy a new larger format ccd)

Just don't know what to do...... :) :) :):laugh::grin:

Hey sorry to hear that Rob, In the end True-Tek sent me a new wheel, which was far superior, but i still had to file down my baader filter to get them to fit.

It had the choice of buying new filters (approx £300)

Send back wheel and wait 6 months for QHY to release their 1.25" wheel

File existing filters - Cost of file £2.99

I didn't want to file the filters, but the only real choice i had, just means i can never sell them on now.

Just sent them an email.

The thing is, it's worked fine for 6 months and the filters (astronomik) have planty of clearance.

Of course, what it is is that I have my new scope up and ready to go so something had to break down....we must be in for some clear sky soon!

It is great having an 8 position wheel though, so you can keep all your filters loaded and ready.

Cheers

Rob

Mine is currently loaded with LRGB, plus Ha, OIII, H-beta, and SII. I don't really use the SII (not keen on the Hubble pallete), so I'm probably going to replace it with a 6nm Ha at some stage.

Nick got back to me last night and are on the problem for me....very good service :(

Cheers

Rob

M

... so I guess steve at FLO doesn't realize that Baader filters are an issue with this filter wheel.

I guess not, though we did fit a couple of Baaders (from the premium range) before dispatch to check that everything moved smoothly. I have no idea why you are having problems but I think it is a shame that you didn't give Nik at TruTek an opportunity to check the wheel over and make the necessary adjustments (he did offer) before damming his product so spectacularly on a public forum.

Richie, when you compared Baader filters to Astronomik was it the cheaper absorptive filters or the new premium range?

Mine do ? although Im using the new LRGBC filters . space is limited but no issues with the filter wheel turning.

I did have a few issues with my own filter wheel however Nick at Tru Tek was quick to respond to all my queries.

Overall the look and the feel of the Tru-tek filter wheels is a bit DIY ish however when you look at the alternitives and what you would need to fork out the TruTech is the most economical.

Hi Mark,

Apparently the Baader filters are fine, it's the older cheaper set that are the issue. I was going to hold off and get the QHY wheel, but they aren't releasing the 8x1.25 verison until mid year from my understanding.

Also, i've found that the Dates QHY specify about relases are optimistic at best, so the next best choice was the true-Tek wheel.

That said, the suport from True-Tek replacing my wheel was superb, so hats off to nick at true-tek for his great customer service.

Rich.

Rich,

I have used the tru-tech wheel successfully now for at least 6 months. One thing to always bear in mind is the connection point for these units. As clearance levels are small it is extremely important to ensure that the SCT (or however you fix yours) threaded connector (telescope end) doesn't protrude inside the case (a spacing/fixing ring is usually supplied for this purpose). Glad you have got sorted, thought I would add this for anyone else reading the thread.

Steve..

Archived