Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EOS 350D .. is it worth modding?

Hi

So I have laying around an old Canon EOS 350D that I wont mind trying to mod for astrophotography, i.e. remove the IR filter. I have read several tutorials and I cant understand if I need to put anything extra inside or just remove the IR filter.

Does anyone have experience on this camera that can point me the right direction?

Is it worth modding? 

For around 100€, is there a better alternative?

Thanks

For 100 Euro you could get a 450D, several generations better than the 350D, and it has LiveView.

Use the 350D to gain experience of modding.

Take anti-static precautions, and mark the insertion point of the ribbons with a thin Sharpie, so that you know you have re-inserted them square and all the way in.

Michael

1 hour ago, michael8554 said:

For 100 Euro you could get a 450D, several generations better than the 350D, and it has LiveView.

Use the 350D to gain experience of modding.

Take anti-static precautions, and mark the insertion point of the ribbons with a thin Sharpie, so that you know you have re-inserted them square and all the way in.

Michael

thanks

does it needs a glass inside after removing the IR?

1 hour ago, pedromreis said:

does it needs a glass inside after removing the IR?

Complicated question, removing the IR filter will allow more 'red' light to the sensor, this may be what you want for some astrophotography, without a replacement using the camera for normal photography focus will be different.

You may need some IR filtering, common replacement was a filter with a different cut off point, kept focus and allowed more red.

I see Gary Honis replaced with clear glass on his 300D mod.  Good luck with it.

That's my understanding, this old thread will be worth a read, the 350D is not worth a lot these days so........    and yes a 450D may be a good place to start.

• Thanks 1

I modded my 350D many years ago and just removed the filter from it. Used it for about 4 years for all my images then upgraded to a modded 1000d and to be honest it was not that much better a bit sharper and it had live view. I have now got myself another 350d which I might mod like I did the first one its not that hard to do and I am the worst guy to ask to do electrical things but managed to do it.

Heres a picture of the Rosette Nebula I did with it after it was modded 

Rosette Nebula MC.tif

35 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

I modded my 350D many years ago and just removed the filter from it. Used it for about 4 years for all my images then upgraded to a modded 1000d and to be honest it was not that much better a bit sharper and it had live view. I have now got myself another 350d which I might mod like I did the first one its not that hard to do and I am the worst guy to ask to do electrical things but managed to do it.

Heres a picture of the Rosette Nebula I did with it after it was modded 

Rosette Nebula MC.tif 2.77 MB · 1 download

Hi, I would be very happy If I could make a photo like that :)

What was the rest of the setup? Lens/scope, mount, etc...

So is one just remove the filter, there is no problem focusing to the infinity?

Did you put any clip filter to protect the sensor?

Thanks

6 hours ago, pedromreis said:

Hi, I would be very happy If I could make a photo like that :)

What was the rest of the setup? Lens/scope, mount, etc...

So is one just remove the filter, there is no problem focusing to the infinity?

Did you put any clip filter to protect the sensor?

Thanks

Hi I just took the filter out and prayed it would all go back together ok lol. the set up is all listed on my blog and I focused using a batinov mask I never used a clip filter alot of what I did was down to trying it out and if it didnt work on to the next attempt dont be afraid to experment that is the fun part you have to take risks sometimes to make progress. And now I am about to do it all again having been out tonight with my next 350d which I must confess I have forgotton how to use all the buttons and settings good job I kept a blog and lots of notes. Allways keep good notes.

• Like 1

Also just in case any one has a 350d and want to run it on there 64bit windows 10 laptop or pc check out this chap who has developed a neat little bit of software that will allow you to control it from you laptop called abutilitys. You will need to disable windows from stopping you installing unsigned drivers but thats not hard to do and once its done you have a neat little programme to take pictures with view them and change camera settings. Check it out here.

https://www.aemfoto.it/wp/2017/01/07/canon-5d-and-350drebel-xt-driverlibrary-for-windows-788-110-64bit/?unapproved=322&moderation-hash=9696922bfb25ea4a042c77a6bd455c1c#comment-322

• Like 1