NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Looking for solar wedge.

tico

Hello,
Currently I am looking for some information on solar wedges, I have heard that they are quite safe and that they are very similar to each other, I have seen that there are Lunt, Baader and Lacerta, Altair ... as main brands, maybe there are others.
I have read that Lacerta has a special characteristic, the angle in 56.6 degrees that the prism presents, will you notice a difference in the solar image in relation to those that present the prism at 90º?
I would also like to ask you, apart from the ND3 filter, which filters are worth putting in the sun wedge? I have read that if a polarizer, that if a solar continuum, that if another of lower density neutral density ... in short, a whole mess for me that I have never had a solar wedge ..., I want it for visual observation!

Ah ... I forgot, is it true that 1.25 "wedges are only valid for refractor telescopes up to 4"? and the 2 "ones for refractors up to 175mm?

Thanks in advance for your valuable advice.
Cheers,
Tico.

Edited by tico

I have the Lunt 1.25" Herschel Wedge and use it with my 100mm - 120mm refractors. It works very well :icon_biggrin:

The Lunt incorporates an ND 3.0 filter within the it's eyepiece holder and I also use a single polarising filter on the end of the eyepiece which gives control of the final brightness of the image.

I've not used the others that you mention but I've read good reports on those as well :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

Many have an ND filter permanently mounted and so are intrinsically safe. I’d note that some 2” might not allow focussing due to required backfocus on some refractors, you might be better off with a 1.25”. A continuum filter helps with surface detail, a polariser (I am waiting  for one) could help tune the brightness. I have an old Intes one, simple but effective (though the user needs to manage the ND everytime they use it!) Views are  still great. Any of the options should do well.

peter

• Like 2

I use a Lunt 1.25" on my 120mm refractor. Even with the built in ND filter it is uncomfortably bright. With a solar continuum filter and a polarising filter the brightness is perfect though. 

As noted above, the continuum filter brings out more surface details, at the expense of seeing the sun in a green tone.

There are some good pictures online of what you can expect to see in white light observation - good for managing expectations!

• Like 1

I have a wedge with the so called Brewster angle but only use it for imaging for which it gives excellent results. As I recall when I purchased it I had to specify whether it was to be used for imaging or visual. I use it on a F11 90mm refractor.

• Like 1

Thanks all comments!!

Two questions:

- Can all three filters be used together on the wedge? I mean, ND3-Conntinum-Polarizer? the three at the same time will not subtract too much light from the image?
- Is a solar wedge good for visualizing solar granulation?

And one last, do you know any web address where you can see images in white light through a solar wedge?

Thank you very much.
Tico.

14 minutes ago, tico said:

Thanks all comments!!

Two questions:

- Can all three filters be used together on the wedge? I mean, ND3-Conntinum-Polarizer? the three at the same time will not subtract too much light from the image?
- Is a solar wedge good for visualizing solar granulation?

And one last, do you know any web address where you can see images in white light through a solar wedge?

Thank you very much.
Tico.

I have and use the Lunt 1.25" and sometimes use all; though the ND3 is pre-installed.

It takes a bit of getting used to seeing a green disc, if upgrading from a glass full aperture which shows an orange disc or pale white if using safety solar film.

And... don't forget to make a filter for your finderscope/RDF, cover the objective end and/or remove it before use. Also, do not leave the 'scope unattended or pointing at the Sun, especially where young children are present.   

• Like 1

You need to let your eyes get used to the colour, like with hydrogen alpha. As mine doesn’t have a fixed filter I can reduce the ND when I run at higher magnification (mainly for imaging). Am waiting for a polariser to allow tuning when usi an eyepiece. I’d not run without the continuum, it’s the best way of white light viewing.

Peter

• Like 1