Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Blob of Mars

Puffafish

So the other night, for  the first time in a long while (moving house, building work, renovations, getting married... Basically life got in the way for about 5 years) I got out my good trusty Skywatcher 130P (I think that's the model anyway) and popped it on my driveway to see what I could see.

First problems I've had noticed was that some trees had grown, and were slap bang between me and Saturn and Jupiter. So my original plan wasn't going to happen. Still, I had a look round, admired a couple of clusters and generally had a peer at what was happening. Then, as it's October and Mars is flavour of the month, I swung round to have a look.

And I must admit, it was disappointing. I know I only have stock lenses (25mm and 10mm) along with a 2x Barlow, but I was kind of hoping to see more than a "bit of an off white dot" as my wife put it.

I was looking at it pretty low in the sky, so lots of atmosphere. Using stock, rather than posh expensive, lenses. But I was still hoping for something more. 

Am I being too optimistic for seeing more from Mars with my equipment? I have been meaning to get myself something in the range of a higher end eyepiece, but not sure where's best to spend my money as far as that is concenred.

Mars can be a bit underwhelming visually.  I'm sure you have a good idea of how to improve matters but here are a few tips:

1) Wait until its at its highest point in the sky thereby reducing the atmospheric interference

2) Make sure your scope is collimated

3) Use a red filter to improve surface detail views...

4) ...or use an ND filter to cut the brightness (high cloud cover helps attenuate views of bright planets too.)

The scope you have should be fine.

Kill your dark-adaption too. I keep the lights on around me.

And you have to sit comfortably at the eyepiece for a good length of time, in order to catch the moments of good seeing. Slowly your eyes/brain will start to distinguish features.

You'll need 100x magnification plus, too. I would say. Your scope is 650mm focal length? Perhaps a higher powered EP than your 10mm would be suitable. Higher magnification will dim the planet slightly too. I've had my best views at 150X - 200x recently. You won't necessarily need an expensive EP, though. 

53 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Mars can be a bit underwhelming visually.  I'm sure you have a good idea of how to improve matters but here are a few tips:

1) Wait until its at its highest point in the sky thereby reducing the atmospheric interference

2) Make sure your scope is collimated

3) Use a red filter to improve surface detail views...

4) ...or use an ND filter to cut the brightness (high cloud cover helps attenuate views of bright planets too.)

The scope you have should be fine.

Thanks for those ideas, I hadn't considered a filter. Might give that a go!
You say the scope should be fine, but I do wonder about getting new EP

45 minutes ago, Pixies said:

And you have to sit comfortably at the eyepiece for a good length of time, in order to catch the moments of good seeing. Slowly your eyes/brain will start to distinguish features.

You'll need 100x magnification plus, too. I would say. Your scope is 650mm focal length? Perhaps a higher powered EP than your 10mm would be suitable. Higher magnification will dim the planet slightly too. I've had my best views at 150X - 200x recently. You won't necessarily need an expensive EP, though.

I know what you mean about keep watching to see more - I learnt that with Saturn and Jupiter!
I have been considering a new eye piece, I'm still debating what to get. The 6mm Vixen NPL Eyepieces seem to be sensible to me, as it is a bit more than the cheaper Skywatcher brand, but still within my budget. That'll make it x108 (or x216 with the barlow, which is probably more than is practical with the scope!)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Puffafish said:

The 6mm Vixen NPL Eyepieces seem to be sensible to me, as it is a bit more than the cheaper Skywatcher brand, but still within my budget.

The Baader Classic Orthos might be another good consideration. A tenner more, but they have the same 50deg FOV as the Vixen plossls

• Like 1