NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cheap? Filter advice for Nebula

Gmx76

Hi, so I have just got an az-gti and will have a 72ed in a couple of weeks. I want to image nebula and planetary nebula. Probably galaxies also.  I have a GPcam290C.  I've read that filters can help. Although the Optolong's seem great,  I can't justify more big spends now. So is it worth getting a cheaper filter, I'm thinking in the £20-30 range eg Svbony UHC or similar? Or any suggestions? Thanks

Greg

I have and use the Exploore Scientific UHC filter. So far, it seems pretty good. Though I confess I have only used it with my 're-modded' ETX105 and not my TeleVue Ranger or C6/SCT-xlt.
I also have and use the CLS & Olll and Baader Planetarium Neodymium & Contrast Booster... and a 'cheap' variable polarising filter.

• Like 1

Just now, Spacecake2 said:

If you live in heavy light pollution a LPR filter could be recommended. 

LPR filters will only work with 'old' sodium streetlighting... not the 'new' LED streetlighting.

4 hours ago, Philip R said:

LPR filters will only work with 'old' sodium streetlighting... not the 'new' LED streetlighting.

I thought the IDAS D2 was set up to help deal with the LED light issue, not sure how good it is mind you.