Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skysafari 6 Pro with AZ-GTI mount

Relpet

Before I splash out £18.49 has anyone succeeded in driving the Skywatcher AZ-GTI Freedom Finder using Skysafari 6 Pro wifi on Android?  The developer's forum suggests it's still work in progress but the last date is May 2020.  I've just emailed them but don't expect  a quick response.  I don't have a problem with the Skywatcher's own Synscan Pro but think Skysafari might offer more.

I have driven it from Stellarium mobile plus (on Android) - which was only £7.49 .  Once aligned (using the Synscan app) it was spot on when performing GOTO from Stellarium plus.

You can always request a refund if you try SkySafari and don't like it. 

@Relpet I thought Skysafari on Android worked ok with Skywatcher Synscan mounts as you can run the Synscan app in the background provided you have enabled this to happen in the settings menu. The problem I was aware of was with iOS which does not allow background apps in the same way, so you needed two devices to make it work. This has now been fixed anyway so as far as I’m aware it works on both platforms.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

@Relpet I thought Skysafari on Android worked ok with Skywatcher Synscan mounts as you can run the Synscan app in the background provided you have enabled this to happen in the settings menu. The problem I was aware of was with iOS which does not allow background apps in the same way, so you needed two devices to make it work. This has now been fixed anyway so as far as I’m aware it works on both platforms.

Yes it has been fixed for iOS, I regularly run Skysafari pro and the synscan apps together on one iphone to control my az-eq6-plus-wifi adapter, which i believe is the same protocol as the az-gti setup

Edited by Captain Magenta

Simulation Curriculum Corp did reply to my message and referred me to  the forum where users have successfully run their 'scopes from the version, SkySafari 6 Plus on Android so long as Sysnscan is running in the background.  I'll give that a try before going for the Pro version.  I hope the responses concerning IOS will be valuable to iPhone users.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 09/10/2020 at 18:15, Relpet said:

Before I splash out £18.49 has anyone succeeded in driving the Skywatcher AZ-GTI Freedom Finder using Skysafari 6 Pro wifi on Android?  The developer's forum suggests it's still work in progress but the last date is May 2020.  I've just emailed them but don't expect  a quick response.  I don't have a problem with the Skywatcher's own Synscan Pro but think Skysafari might offer more.

If it’s primarily for controlling your az gti, don’t bother. I have had sky safari for many years and as a stellerium app it’s very good but for controlling and syncing my az gti mount it’s useless. The sync function just doesn’t work in iOS. I have changed to Luminos and find this app is far better for control of my mount.