OCTOBER 6TH, MARS OBSERVED AT CLOSEST APPROACH TO EARTH THIS EVENING

paulastro

54 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

Just interested if you use a filter John (or other readers)? Since formally owning a Televue Bandmate planetary filter used for Jupiter years ago, I do not have any planetary filters, perhaps an applicable filter may draw out subtle features? Experiencing good seeing, contrast between 'dark fingers' such as Mare Cimmerium and Syrtis Minor among other areas was strongly defined and brief periods of ochre shading were distinguishable, good to learn if a filter could necessarily enhance and draw more surface detailing.

Until recently I used to swear by the Baader Neodymium Moon and Skyglow filter. I still think it is very useful on Jupiter and Mars, and the Moon of course, but the other night when observing at high power (x300 to x360) in my 8” f8, I found that the filter was cutting down on some of the detail and it was better without. I assume this is related to the small exit pupil at high power, meaning that the fainter features get blocked? So, I will continue to use it for more regular powers as I think it does boost the contrast, but will remove it when the skies allow very high power.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Stu said:

I must just have been south of it then Mark, definitely wasn’t affecting my views which I’m grateful for 👍😁

no i think it was dipping down just below us last night Stu but John wasn’t so lucky- can’t find a retrospective map

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1