NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ASI294 to QHY168C?

AndyThilo

I'm thinking of selling my 294MC Pro and getting an APS-C sized camera. The 2600 is out my price range so looking at the previous gen, either the ASI071 or QHY168C. The latter is a few hundred pounds cheaper and from what I've heard, the customer service from QHY is far better?

Thoughts?

You should consider the qhy247 as it's more of a step up than the 168 if you can't press to the 268. Honestly I can't comment on customer service but beware of anyone commenting on it that has not owned a QHY as there is allot of badge snobbery in astro imaging cameras as is the case with cars. 

Edited by Adam J

4 minutes ago, AndyThilo said:

The 268C is only a little more. But alas too much still. The 168 would be fine for me. Just want to get away from the amp glow and flat issues with the 294 and gain a few MP for processing. 

Sorry I said 274 above but meant QHY247c

https://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/cameras/cooled-ccd/qhy-cooled-ccd-cameras/qhy247-aps-c-cmos-camera/

Adam

Out of the ASI071 or QHY168 I would choose the QHY as it has dew heating on both sensor glass and cover glass. I'm sure I've read someone saying they had issues if the ASI was cooled too low or too quickly. Prob best get advice from folk who've owned them?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

I'm sure @Allinthehead had an ASI071 and produced some of the best OSC images I have ever seen so its not to be ruled out.

Thanks Dave, yes the sensor in the 071 is very good but housed in the Asi body it has a serious flaw. With mine at least,  going beyond -5 resulted in ice forming which would ruin an imaging session. If you're buying new then i would go with the Qhy version. Another issue is one of halos when paired with a reflector. Not an issue with a refractor.

As Adam said the 247 is a good option or of course a camera with the imx571 sensor is another, although pricey. 

From my perspective the imx571 is not enough of an upgrade in terms of image quality over the 071 to justify the price. It's as good a sensor but without the issues i outlined above, so it was worth the upgrade for me. Altair have just released the 26c which uses the imx571 so might be worth looking into.