Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sadr region

GraemeH

This is my first new image in many months, and I'm slowly learning to resist posting the first version from my novice (but hopefully improving) processing skills.  Comments and criticism very welcome. 

Scope: Evostar 72ED with OVL flattener - Mount: Nexstar Evolution on wedge - Camera: Canon 6D - Filter: Baader UHC-S - Guidescope: Skywatcher 9x50 finder - Guide camera: QHY5Lii-c - Software: APT, PHD2, CPWI, APP, PS CC

40x300", ISO 1600, 50 Flats, 100 Bias

Image scale: 3.1"/px

Sadr Region v3.jpg

Edited by GraemeH
Filter detail added
  • Like 19

Good capture, good processing. This doesn't belong in the 'getting started section!'  I think what's particularly successful is that you've left the black point high enough not to have clipped those extra-black parts between the wings of the butterfly. These dust lanes are darker than natural background sky so you need to keep the background high enough to show this, just as you have done.

You may already have done this, but any OSC data can benefit from a Photoshop trick: Image-Adjustments-Selective Colour-Reds. Move the top slider left to lower the cyans in red. This usually makes any Ha signal pop. You can use the trick like that or you can save the result and use it as luminance over the original. 

The blue seems to be restrained in this image but that's probably inevitable with the filter. A consequence is that the Ha regions are more orange-yellow than they would be with more blue. Moving the reds towards magenta might help but you might perfectly well prefer it as it is.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
typo
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much Olly for taking the time to offer feedback. I will certainly try your tip of the selective colour adjustment - it's not something I've ever attempted. 

As for avoiding black clipping, I really must give you most of the credit for that - I always pay close attention to your comments on any images posted, and it's a common theme I think, particularly with less experienced images (which I still consider myself to be). 

Very nice image Graeme! That little trick of Olly (which I also often use) made a nice improvement. Processing is much about learning tricks like that - one problem is to remember them.

Edited by gorann
  • Thanks 1