NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Amp Ratings and Battery for the Gear in my SIG

I am planing to power my portable rig through the DC power hub on my AsI Air Pro. I want to keep the battery solution as small as possible and still run all night. I'm looking for 2020 solutions others might be using in lieu of a heavy auto battery. I need to know the amps required for each of the electronic devices in my kit: (iOptron CEM25EC, ZWO/ASI Air Pro, 294MC, 120MM, EAF 2 Dew Heater Bands) Then I can calculate how many amps will be required by the AsI Air Pro to provide power to itself and the rig.  I have emailed the manufacturers and hopefully will get this data from the source. Until then,I thought I'd give it a shot to see if anyone else has experience with the above. 

IAIA ( I apologize in advance) if this has already been covered. Thank you in advance as well.

Edited by stringB

I think there's a warning in the ASIAIR manual about maximum reliable current draw through the ASIAIR, I run the mount through a separate supply cable from the same 24ah lithium battery.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

I could not say for definite but a quick tot up would be something like:

Mount - 0.35A tracking and around 1.5 A when slewing to target so say 0.5A average.

I cannot find details of Air Pro but essentially it is an Rpi 3 I think so we are looking at around 1.5A 

cameras around 0.5A for both (again a bit of a guess)

So all in all you are looking at 2.5 to 3 A and suggest you think more of 3A and possibly a bit more (are you running any dew heaters bands ?)

So for an 8 hour session you are looking at a 12 or 13.8V supply capable of supplying around 300W Hrs to be safe.

I think that is correct but it is just my quick totup so apologize if not totally correct 🙂 

Steve

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I think there's a warning in the ASIAIR manual about maximum reliable current draw through the ASIAIR, I run the mount through a separate supply cable from the same 24ah lithium battery

I have definatly seen a warning some where in the asiair documentation about not powering the mount through the asiair. 

7 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I think there's a warning in the ASIAIR manual about maximum reliable current draw through the ASIAIR, I run the mount through a separate supply cable from the same 24ah lithium battery.

Dave

That makes sense. I know some have done it but why bother if there is any risk.. Thanks guys!

7 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I could not say for definite but a quick tot up would be something like:

Mount - 0.35A tracking and around 1.5 A when slewing to target so say 0.5A average.

I cannot find details of Air Pro but essentially it is an Rpi 3 I think so we are looking at around 1.5A 

cameras around 0.5A for both (again a bit of a guess)

So all in all you are looking at 2.5 to 3 A and suggest you think more of 3A and possibly a bit more (are you running any dew heaters bands ?)

So for an 8 hour session you are looking at a 12 or 13.8V supply capable of supplying around 300W Hrs to be safe.

I think that is correct but it is just my quick totup so apologize if not totally correct 🙂 

Steve

Wow Thanks Steve, very informative. The consensus is not to run the mount but I would like to run the dew heater bands if that is possible.

5 hours ago, SmokeyJoe said:

I have definatly seen a warning some where in the asiair documentation about not powering the mount through the asiair. 

I guess I thought I may be able to pull it off with the little CEM25 but it's not a big deal to run the mount separately... thanks!

Edited by stringB

I can see where the mount  might require a direct supply to avoid a bumpy voltage ride. I am defiantly taking the mount out of the DC hub equation. However dew strips with the plug rewired would be nice to keep more wires from coming down to the tripod. Do you think I could run my ZWO Kit and 2 small dew straps? I've even seen a USB strap by Evbony for the cheap. I wonder if it would work in this scenario... I will have one USB open and I can live without the second strap.

On 03/10/2020 at 08:46, SmokeyJoe said:

I run my dew strap directly from one of the 5v outputs on the asiair Pro, the app even let's you turn them up and down,, you don't need a dew heater controller. 

I can see how to turn the 4 DC outs on or off individually. Are you saying that you can adjust the voltage at each output?

1 hour ago, stringB said:

I can see how to turn the 4 DC outs on or off individually. Are you saying that you can adjust the voltage at each output?

Yes there is a slider associated with the dew strap, allows you to control the voltage,don't think it is enabled until you plug the strap in. also I bought my straps from RVO, they have a built in adjustment wheel.