SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Remembering the Aurora

A bit of a sentimental title, agreed. I used to go to Iceland in winter quite regularly. Walking through ice caves and hunting the northern lights. Maybe this routine will return some day.

Anyway: 

If you have witnessed the aurora you know that it can change quite rapidly.
In this picture some highlights from a particularly active night at the shores of the glacial lake Jökulsárlón in Iceland

I changed the position a bit to capture the action in the sky and as the intensity varied quite a lot, I also changed ISO. The top image is 20s at ISO 3200, the middle and bottom image are 20s at ISO 800.
The 14mm lens was used wide open at f2.8

The Samyang lens had a hero's fate in Iceland. It was attached to my camera on top of a tripod. Iceland is a windy place and as the equipment was left unattended for a few seconds it was blown over. The lens took the hit and fell apart. The camera survived without a scratch. 

Aurora-Night.jpg

• Like 10

Thanks, all!

@Craney: As this practice of long-boating and flaming has used up most of the original forests on Iceland, I took the remnants home and I Frankensteined it (super glue, no stiches). Unfortunately its character was not as benign as the original, so I had to kill it off unceremoniously.

Edited by Annehouw
  • Like 1