M33 with an Asteroid in the subs

PaulR1

Here is my M33 , Triangulum Galaxy , from 71 x 5 min subs over 2 nights

Was fun to process as two of us also found an asteroid lurking in the subs which can be seen in the processing video near the end :)

M33.thumb.jpg.f1b56b1e447a9c3293e805134b9fc49d.jpg

• Like 17

Thanks Paul, 🙂 Very impressive result and useful to compare results between a OSC and my LRGB one I posted yesterday. I'm told my background is too dark. 😀 The Ha regions show up very similar between the two. I binned mine early on in processing, primarily to speed up processing as Startools was a bit slow with a 62 mega pixel camera. 😄

Also, like the bonus video end. 😀

Alan

Edited by symmetal

Lovely image & thanks for the video, it was very interesting.
Out of curiosity, couldn’t you have used the starless image that starnet created as a galaxy mask, perhaps after extracting the luminance? 

Edited by Scooot

Thanks guys , appreciate the comments :)

6 hours ago, Scooot said:

Lovely image & thanks for the video, it was very interesting.
Out of curiosity, couldn’t you have used the starless image that starnet created as a galaxy mask, perhaps after extracting the luminance? 

Thats not a bad idea actually , I might wind back in the project processing and have a look at that and also for future projects.

2 hours ago, PaulR1 said:

Thanks guys , appreciate the comments :)

Thats not a bad idea actually , I might wind back in the project processing and have a look at that and also for future projects.

One thing I tried for the first time recently with a widefield image of M33 I took with my dslr,  is to actually use the starless image itself. I was able to work on the Galaxy and background easily without the stars getting in the way. I also stretched the stars separately in another image before adding them back into the starless image with pixelmath after first applying the star mask. As I only had 8 images to stack I think this helped me to get a better image than otherwise. 
If you’re interested the image is near the bottom of page 33 of this thread.

Edited by Scooot