Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just ordered ASI6200MM: Will Baader filters fit the wheel?

gorann

Has anyone with and ASI6200MM and the dedicated 5 or 7 position 2" ZWO filter wheel tried if 2" Baader filters fit?

ZWO says in their info about the wheel that filters should be no more than 5 mm high (above the thread) and when I measure my Baaders they are 6 mm. I rather do not want to buy a whole new set and expect that Baader filters are a bit better than ZWO.

Edited by gorann

47 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Where did you read that info about filters?

From ZWO website:

image.png.600a7d6abbc5f492f84c52f4fa97f0f8.png

Source page:

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/product/zwo-efw-5-x-2″or-7-x-2″

As far as I know 6mm is lowest profile cell that you can find and Baader filter use that type of cell.

Hi Vlaiv, that sounds reassuring. I got it from the FLO site where it says "The requirements shown below must be met if using non-ZWO 2” filters." and then shows a drawing:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-7x-2-inch-electronic-filter-wheel-efw.htm

Yes baader filters fit fine. One issue I had was that any star below mag 7 caused significant reflections when the light hits the filter cell. So I had to change to 50mm unmounted filters. This solved the issue for me. 

This may not be an issue if using a slower scope than f5.

6183259C-6C35-4BDF-8359-ADABC04B2192.jpeg

A1C1856D-54EC-46FA-845B-283ED90BF4B4.jpeg

Edited by Ken82

The real issue with all the zwo wheels and taller filters is not that you can't fit them into the wheel it's that the thread of your extenders etc protrudes into the wheel and contacts the filters in many cases and it's this that can be the limiting factor. 

10 minutes ago, Adam J said:

The real issue with all the zwo wheels and taller filters is not that you can't fit them into the wheel it's that the thread of your extenders etc protrudes into the wheel and contacts the filters in many cases and it's this that can be the limiting factor. 

This is very true Adam. 

The female m54 thread is only a few millimetres deep so you need to be careful to avoid hitting the filters. A solution to this is use the M68 OAG like I have (this has a much deeper thread than the FW). This bolts to the FW. 

Personally I don’t like the M54 screw connection, internally the male side of the M54 could be only 47-48mm so it will cause mechanical vignetting with anything below f5. Not an issue with flats.

Another point to consider is Sam has told me the zwo filters have a larger clear  aperture than baader filters which may be beneficial to the earlier issue I posted. (Baader 45.4mm) (IDAS 43.2mm)

I’m sure you’ll be delighted with the camera and baader filters will work well.

The biggest problem you may Find is that optics haven’t kept up with the development of sensors in the last 10yrs. what scope are you planning to use ?