Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do I really need my Canon 10D DSLR modified?

Mark at Beaufort

I imagine he answer should be 'yes' especially if I want to record the Flame, Horsehead, Rosette etc.

However, what would the result be if I screwed a 2" O-111 or UHC filter into the T mount camera adaptor? What would the result be? How much improvement above no filter at all?

Or because the IR blocking and antialiasing filter is still in position on the camera I will still get a poor reponse in the HA band of emission nebulae whatever filter is put into the system.

Any views, recommendations or just get the camera modified and get on with it!!

Mark

As the filter already blocks Ha, no filter added will "unblock" it and the fitted filter must be removed for better Ha response.

An OIII filter would work Okay I guess. DSLRs are much more sensitive around the OIII region and you could reduce LP significantly and capture narrowband OIII like this. But of course you must pick a sensible OIII target!

Same for UHC.

Andrew

Thanks Billy, Andrew and Craig for the advice. Clearly it shows what can be done with a modified DSLR - as usual Billy your Astro Photos are brilliant. I am grateful to Craig showing that you can record emission nebulae without the modification - and well done Craig in recording the double star Alnitak. Thanks again guys.

Mark

Cheers Mark :oops:

I think a modded 1000D is probably the way forward... for price performance... The 1000D has significantly better long exposure noise performance and the USB2 connection with remote liveview is really handy... I cant wait to see Georges results as hes due to mod his this weekend... Mines staying un-modded for a few months more yet... Unless Georges firstlight images persuade me otherwise...

When I do mod it this time I will fit a clear glass or one of the repalcement filters over the sensor though to try and maintain daytime AF ...

Billy...

Cheers Mark :oops:

I think a modded 1000D is probably the way forward... for price performance... The 1000D has significantly better long exposure noise performance and the USB2 connection with remote liveview is really handy... I cant wait to see Georges results as hes due to mod his this weekend... Mines staying un-modded for a few months more yet... Unless Georges firstlight images persuade me otherwise...

When I do mod it this time I will fit a clear glass or one of the repalcement filters over the sensor though to try and maintain daytime AF ...

Billy...

It might be possible to just fit a astronomik OWB filter to regain a normal white balance and posibly the autofocus too, if no filter is fitted to the sensor. It might be worth asking the question to Astronomik.

Regards

Kevin

Archived