Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DC-DC Buck converters

wormix

Following in from the battery connector thread, as part of my battery box I want an output for a canon dslr at 7.4v. 

There seem to be 2 popular dc-dc converters used - LM2596 & XL4015. Can anyone advise whether one is more suitable than the other?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, wormix said:

Following in from the battery connector thread, as part of my battery box I want an output for a canon dslr at 7.4v. 

There seem to be 2 popular dc-dc converters used - LM2596 & XL4015. Can anyone advise whether one is more suitable than the other?

Thanks

take a look at this

• 2 months later...

I'm using the Analog Devices ADP2303 for most of my stuff - I prefer higher frequency, you can get away with a smaller inductor which means smaller footprint, but also peak to peak ripple current is lower, so easier to smooth out. They do fixed outputs (5v and 3.3v) but the other devices have a reference pin that you can tune for your output (it's a simple voltage divider). They're a little on the expensive side (£2.40 per chip) but well proven and stable.

An adjustable DC-DC converter is possible, but sub-optimal (there's a lot of tuning based on actual voltage/current requirements and picking inductors is a pain in the ... - going adjustable you throw a lot of that out of the window. Inductors have a sweet spot, so you're usually trying to find the optimum as that's most fogriving over the entire range of operating conditions)