NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Need help with a decision

Hi everyone, 

ive just started out with astronomy/ astrophotography.

last year I bought a Sky Watcher 150PL that came with the standard EQ3-2 and then this month I’ve just bought an Astro modded dslr. 
im quite keen to get some tracking sorted, either buy the motors for my mount or buy a star adventurer or something.

im aware that the eq3-2 mount would struggle to move the 150PL as it is 1200mm long.

my question is would it still be decent enough to put my dslr on and get some good star tracking?

or is it best to just get a star adventurer and save up for a better mount for the 150PL.

Or have any of you guys successfully got some good tracking with a 150pl paired with the eq3-2

thanks in advance 

One way to make the EQ3-2 more stable is to fill the legs with play sand keep banging the side as that will compact the sand. 

Another thing is get a EQ5 or a HEQ5 Tripod which fits the EQ3-2. 

As for the scope I don't know I started with the 150p on the same mount. 

There is a thread on here for people using the EQ3-2 for photography I would suspect you would need to attach at least a RA motor. 

You will never regret buying the best mount you can afford is the only advice I can give.

Once your mount is solid, stable, and reliable, the rest just comes together so much more easily. Hope that makes sense?

Tim

Thanks for replying.

yes I would get the enhanced dual motors for the eq3-2.

im just unsure about buying them if I can’t use the scope with it and it’s no good for a dslr on it’s own aswel.

good idea about the sand, might give that a try.

my missus might not appreciate the sand all round the living room tho hah

thanks again!

11 minutes ago, Tim said:

You will never regret buying the best mount you can afford is the only advice I can give.

Once your mount is solid, stable, and reliable, the rest just comes together so much more easily. Hope that makes sense?

Tim

Thanks for replying Tim, yes that makes perfect sense.  Its just at the min it’s still a new hobby and even though I’d love to blow a grand or so on a boss mount, I don’t think the missus would be too impressed ha

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tim said:

This is the right advice.

I would not recommend motorizing the the EQ3-2 - too many compromises. Instead, using your DSLR and a camera lens on a Star Adventurer mount would give you a good feel for whether astrophotography is for you or not.

Whatever you do, don't underestimate the importance of the mount in astrophotography - it is the single most important component in any imaging system.

Your telescope is great on planets and you don't have to have tracking for that, through it makes it easier. For planets it's video generally taken, do you know if the camera you bought supports video crop mode?

You don't have to use a telescope for deep space objects as many are rather large, this blog is using vintage camera lens bought used. Link here

I still use my EQ3-2 as a DSLR tracking mount with the single axis motor, can use it for Lunar/Planetary imaging with my 90mm Mak or DSLR with lens.

Its performance is OK for me as I dont normally go above 150mm f/f. but as a rough guide I can get around 90s with 330mm f/l and several hours if I wanted at 17mm f/l.

As for the tripod I always use it at its min height and again its fine, of course a RA polarscope and DSLR with a flippy screen makes this easy and one other plus for me is that it can be run off a cheap mobile phone power bank.

Alan

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

This is the right advice.

I would not recommend motorizing the the EQ3-2 - too many compromises. Instead, using your DSLR and a camera lens on a Star Adventurer mount would give you a good feel for whether astrophotography is for you or not.

Whatever you do, don't underestimate the importance of the mount in astrophotography - it is the single most important component in any imaging system.

Would you not motorise even if it was just used with the dslr and no 150pl?

27 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Your telescope is great on planets and you don't have to have tracking for that, through it makes it easier. For planets it's video generally taken, do you know if the camera you bought supports video crop mode?

You don't have to use a telescope for deep space objects as many are rather large, this blog is using vintage camera lens bought used. Link here

cheers. That link is great, I have a canon 100d Astro modded with a baader cover. What would I need to attach vintage lenses to that 

7 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I still use my EQ3-2 as a DSLR tracking mount with the single axis motor, can use it for Lunar/Planetary imaging with my 90mm Mak or DSLR with lens.

Its performance is OK for me as I dont normally go above 150mm f/f. but as a rough guide I can get around 90s with 330mm f/l and several hours if I wanted at 17mm f/l.

As for the tripod I always use it at its min height and again its fine, of course a RA polarscope and DSLR with a flippy screen makes this easy and one other plus for me is that it can be run off a cheap mobile phone power bank.

Alan

Thanks Alan, that fills me with hope. So do you think it’s not worth getting the dual axis? Just the R.A and use a ball head mount.

how do I go about running it off a mobile phone power bank and how much tracking time does 1 charge get you?

9 minutes ago, Michael Keo said:

Would you not motorise even if it was just used with the dslr and no 150pl?

I just feel that your money could be better spent elsewhere as although you would have tracking (I agree that just RA is really required), the existing drive gears are a little crude.