DSS says no!

I am trying unsuccesfuly to processs some data captured last night- the seond attempt at processing deep sky datat from my new camera.

I captured 20 X 30s lights, 10 X 30 sec darks and 10 X .01 sec bias. The file size combined was around 163MB.

I have loaded each of the files into DSS by file type so, the darks after selecting the darks heading from the menu, the bias by selecting the bias heading from the menu and the lights by opening picture file and tagging all the lights. They are recognised by DSS as the correct file types.

When I register the images, the end result is only one of 20 or 9 files will be stacked. What am I doing wrong?

despite the data captured being in excess of 160MB, each image on the file it is saved to on my desk top is shwing 4149kb?

Capture.thumb.JPG.254b42711a2de06a60e97f0028eda21b.JPG

There are a multitude of things that can cause that: Too high a detection threshold; out of focus stars; trailed stars; hot pixels etc etc ... You could try posting a few of the files on a file sharing site and see if anyone can spot the problem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Swoop1 said:

How do I check this and should I be adjusting to a high or low count?

When you go to register the images, click on the Advanced tab.  You can then adjust the slider to change the number of stars detected. Set it to detect between 20 and a few hundred stars (the lower the percentage, the more stars detected):

image.png.e56a3750773838dd2950d46ddaaf4cf3.png

Once your images have been registered, the #Stars column will be populated:

image.png.b70cc78def9cbb1e776e30c432f08fb7.png

If you are getting a reasonable number of stars for each image and it still won't stack then it's possibly detecting hot pixels as well as stars (the stars will be at slightly different pixel locations in each image whereas the hot pixels will be in the same place so DSS is unable to compute the stacking parameters).

11 hours ago, Seelive said:

When you go to register the images, click on the Advanced tab.  You can then adjust the slider to change the number of stars detected. Set it to detect between 20 and a few hundred stars (the lower the percentage, the more stars detected):

image.png.e56a3750773838dd2950d46ddaaf4cf3.png

Once your images have been registered, the #Stars column will be populated:

image.png.b70cc78def9cbb1e776e30c432f08fb7.png

If you are getting a reasonable number of stars for each image and it still won't stack then it's possibly detecting hot pixels as well as stars (the stars will be at slightly different pixel locations in each image whereas the hot pixels will be in the same place so DSS is unable to compute the stacking parameters).

Thanks Seelive. I tried adjusting theparameters but nom stars detected.....

I have uploaded the data to Mediafire and the link is here-

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/lhux0dr82yl9a/2020-09-17_22_52_17Z

As requested @happy-kat I have rerun the processing attempt and snipped the error message with lights in the file list-

Capture2.thumb.JPG.86d82f1fff3c537c0a10d82543fc9cd0.JPG

When I open a light file, the quality is poor and what stars there are in the image seem quite big. I am sure of focus as the diffraction pattern from my Bhatinov was spot on.#

Thanks

Matt

Edited by Swoop1

You could try selecting each light frame and seeing if the stars can be seen and then manually adding them with the star icon on the right side menu and save. Aim for I think at least 10

Big stars does suggest focus was off

Edited by happy-kat