Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SUITABLE CAMERA FOR PLANETARY IMAGING

johnturley

26 minutes ago, johnturley said:

It appears that the 6D just wont do uncompressed or RAW movies at all - unless someone knows better?

The 6D has two different compression options available one called ALL which compresses one frame at a time and one that compresses multiple frames at once, it lists 640X480 as a video option but the ALL compression doesn't work at this resolution, whether it's one to one crop mode isn't clear from the specs.

Dave

28 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

The 6D has two different compression options available one called ALL which compresses one frame at a time and one that compresses multiple frames at once, it lists 640X480 as a video option but the ALL compression doesn't work at this resolution, whether it's one to one crop mode isn't clear from the specs.

Dave

I've had a look at my camera and manual, you can do both the 'ALL' and 'IBP' settings  at 1920 x 1080 (full HD), 1280 x 720 (HD) settings, but just IBP at 640 x 480 (SD), which would be best.

The 1280 x 720 setting also gives you 50 rather than 25 frames per second, will this be better, just 25 or 24 (in the case of 1920 x 1080)  and 25 for 640 x 480.

I originally assumed that 1920 x 1080 would be best, my camera is currently set to the default of 1920 x 1080 IBP.

John 

Edited by johnturley

Thanks Alan

I've had a quick look at Magic Lantern, but it does appear a bit overcomplicated for me, however I'll look at in again in more detail later, not sure whether it will help with my planetary imaging, also don't whether the Raw images will work with PIPP and Registax. 

John 

Edited by johnturley

1 hour ago, johnturley said:

Thanks Alan

I've had a quick look at Magic Lantern, but it does appear a bit overcomplicated for me, however I'll look at in again in more detail later, not sure whether it will help with my planetary imaging, also don't whether the Raw images will work with PIPP and Registax. 

John 

Hi John,

There are plenty of tutorials on using/installing Magic Lantern on the site and youtube. You install it on the camera's SD card and when powering up the camera it looks to see if any boot software is on the SD card. If there is (in this case Magic Lantern) it will load it and run this software. If it doesn't find any boot software, (as when using a normal SD card) it then proceeds to load the normal internal Canon software.

Looking at the PIPP downloads screen, since version 2.5.6 (May 2016) it supports Magic Lantern .mlv files. 🙂

On the video above it generated .raw files from Magic Lantern. It seems the latest versions generate a more universal raw format with a .mlv extension which is the one PIPP uses. 

Alan

Edited by symmetal
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, symmetal said:

Also according to this Magic Lantern report the 6D can use a 1920 x 720 crop mode which gives 2.85x image scale increase over standard video recording.

Theoretically if the 60D does 640 x 480 crop video in true one to one pixel ratio it should be best for planetary, like an imitation web cam, 30fps should do although I think my 60Da does 60fps, can't see why the more expensive 60D should be any different.

Dave

49 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Theoretically if the 60D does 640 x 480 crop video in true one to one pixel ratio it should be best for planetary, like an imitation web cam, 30fps should do although I think my 60Da does 60fps, can't see why the more expensive 60D should be any different.

Dave

The Magic Lantern 1920 x 720 is a one to one pixel ratio format, as the 6D horiz res of 5472 divided by 1920 is 2.85 which is the image scale gain quoted my the report.  If the 640 x 480 crop mode is available as standard that would be fine but there doesn't seem to be clear evidence that it is. 🤔 The Magic Lantern mode is 10 bit to enable raw recording at higher resolutions at presumably standard frame rates. Whether that means a higher framerate than standard video at 1920 x 720 is available, I don't know.

Alan

Edited by symmetal

8 minutes ago, symmetal said:

If the 640 x 480 crop mode is available as standard that would be fine but there doesn't seem to be clear evidence that it is.

From 6D menu but still not clear if its 1 to 1 crop mode, not ALL_I compression but doubt if that matters.

Dave

44148672_6Dvideo.PNG.e1ef1226559f088da56fa732a54f17a0.PNG