Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Old Witch - new process

roundycat

Hi all,

This is a re-work of the 150m Witch posted on the 4th with just a few changes. First I added another 90m of data that happened to be lying about by selecting the nebula part of the pic and dragging it in to the new work with careful choice of opacity and layer blending. It was de-saturated a bit and carefully feathered so as not to show. I then set about cleaning it up. Dozens of selections of blue haloed stars were cleaned up one at a time using careful quick mask selections and Curves. I re-visited the background colour which always seemed to be green but didn’t measure green. I ignored the measurement and went by eye. The star colour was similarly modified as they seemed mostly cyan and now are less so. Another gentle re-work with Neat Image to reduce noise in the nebula.

FSQ and Artemis 11002 on AP 1200. All subs around 2-3 minutes with a 12m total of 12 x 60s subs to stop Rigel burning out completely.

She is still presented upside down and back to front as this seems a pleasing composition in spite of my normal preference for a north up presentation.

Comments on the 'other' forum indicated that I was still overdoing the saturation (via curves I should add, not by Image Adjustments Saturation which does something different) so I have backed off the blue a bit more and taken some blue out of the background. Comparing the two it looks an awful lot better.

I think I have had enough time on the old girl now so I’ll start praying for some clear sky so I can do something different.

Dennis

slightly larger version here http://www.dens-astropics.org.uk/page%2012.htm

I think it's a wonderful image Dennis. You are allowed to mention UKAI :) . The colour saturation can only ever be sujective and I like the way you have presented it. As you said in your first post, it is a pretty picture not intended for scientific analysis and it certainly works for me

Archived