Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is how this is all powered ok?

smr

hi,

Just after some advice... is this all powered ok? Just wondering if everything will be ok when out imaging..

I've got the 600D, the Guidecam and the mount plugged into the USB Hub - the USB Hub is powered via mains. I've then got the one USB Cable from the USB Hub into the Laptop.

I've just tested everything and it all seems to be working ok, but I just wondered this will all be ok when it comes to guiding and imaging, will the guidecam be fine for guiding when plugged into the hub, or is there anything that I should plug directly into the laptop instead out of the 600D, Guidecam and Mount?

20200915_115613.thumb.jpg.a843c3732c02f4154a48d1e704909aeb.jpg

Edited by smr

Looks very similar to my setup except my mount uses a Bluetooth interface rather than a cable to the USB hub.  My USB hub is powered by a Tracer 12v LiPo battery (with 12v and 5v output for my dew heater/focuser and USB hub respectively) rather than from the mains.  My cameras are plugged into the USB hub and then the hub is plugged into my laptop so I can control the focuser, dew heater and cameras from the laptop whilst the mount talks to the laptop over bluetooth.  As long as your all balanced up properly it's works fine so I don't think you'll have any issues

Dan

Edited by Concretedan
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Sounds like it should all work. If you have any issues with the guide cam then try plugging directly into the computer. Before I got a Pegasus UPB having both Main and Guide cams to a USB 2 powered hub didn't work.

As in they didn't power on? 

It should all work ok. What is your guide cam though? 

I've just noticed it in your signature a ZWO ASI120MM. That should work fine. However are some of your USB ports switched off? 

Edited by TerryMcK

27 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

It should all work ok. What is your guide cam though? 

I've just noticed it in your signature a ZWO ASI120MM. That should work fine. However are some of your USB ports switched off? 

You can't switch them off manually. The two USB ports on the right don't light up though, they have the USB dew bands plugged into them, they both work but the LEDS don't come on for them on the hub.. maybe because they're not drawing much power? 

One of the dew bands has a switch with high, medium or low settings. The other dew band doesn't have any temperature control and gets quite warm, is there such a thing as too warm for the optics ?

Edited by smr

I'm not sure how much power they are drawing combined (might be more than the hub is rated for) but try unplugging them to see if the camera shows up. To answer your question about could they be too warm - not really they never get too hot (or shouldn't do) and only raise the temperature slightly. You can feel them but they are warm rather than toasty.