NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sitech Handpad

Horwig

Not sure if this should be here or DIY section.

I have a 10 year old Sitech system on my mount, the handpad conductive plastic keys are getting to be no longer conductive. The good one measure in the low tens of kohms, the bad one many hundreds of K.

Anybody have any experience with ageing conductive plastic? Would a good clean with a suitable solvent remove any surface effect? or would conductive paint make a lasting repair? Have tried surface abrasion, no difference.

Will ask on the Sitech forum as well

Huw

8 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

If you want to go down the cleaning route then get some of this, and ONLY this https://uk.farnell.com/servisol/super-servisol-10/cleaner-switch-contact-200ml/dp/278786, I know many BBC studios both radio & TV that rely on it...

Thanks Julian, tried switch cleaner, no difference

Huw

2 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

How good is your de-soldering & soldering ??  if ok then have a look on Farnell & RS for replacements, in the long run it will probably be easier & more reliable. 

Yes, soldering is no problem, there is a drawing for a normal switch replacement controller somewhere in the setup manual, might give it a go, but really I would like to buy a replacement plastic moulded element, but now is not a good time to ask Dan or Taj of Sitech, they live(ed) in Oregon, and have had to leave their houses due to the fires

Huw

My hand pad is 6 years old and has been in the dome for the last 12 months. I mainly control from the laptop so it has had little use recently and thebuttons have got increasingly intermittent, especially the centre change speed button. I took it apart and cleaned the contacts with alcohol, some dirt (carbon?) came off the conductive pads, and after re-assembly it all works fine now.

I know you have tried this so perhaps the conductive pads do have a finite life. I have sent the info I have on the hand pad to @Tomatobro.

The fires look really bad in Oregon, here’s hoping they all come through safe and unscathed.

I tried to find a circuit diagram before and had no luck. I searched again today and could not find one so it was my intention to take it apart and find out how it worked.

Looking at your drawing its pretty straight forward in that all switches are normally open and the diodes just switch a high/low pattern on the signal wires 1,2,3 and 5. I am assuming that the bridge shown next to the controller (bridges 5v to wire 3) is not really present.

The diodes give the following voltage pattern    (H=5v and L equals Ground pulled low by SiTech)

1                2              3            5

Right button                                       H               L              L             L

Left button                                         L                H             L             L

Down button                                     L                L              H            L

Up button                                          L               L               L            H

Top left                                              H               H              L              L

Top right                                           L                 L             H              H

Slew/Pan                                          L                H             H              H

There are posts on the Sitech group where people either buy replacement mouldings, or one where one was sent out FOC.

But I don't want to bother them just at the moment, will use the virtual buttons on the computer for the time being.

Huw

Keypad repair stuff painted on the buttons yesterday, overnight to dry, continuity now about one or two KOhms. Tried in the obsy today, success, but lets see how long the stuff lasts in a cold and damp obsy over winter.

This is the stuff I used:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Keypad-Fix-Permanently-Repairs-All-Rubber-Keypads-ANDERS/273420633386?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

• Like 1