Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is this dew?

vineyard

Hello,

I took about 3h worth of lights on the Heart Nebula last night.  Here's a quick stack (DSS) & ABE on PI.  I applied flats, dark flats & darks, but those splotches are still there (tried new flats as well).  Could that be dew (but wouldn't the image have gotten out of focus?)

Thank you for any insights!

Vin

Heart Nebula w dew.png

10 minutes ago, gilesco said:

Looks like dew to me, was thinking of setting up last night, but saw high humidity, bad dew point, and possible fog later, so gave it a miss.

That was the same for my area minus the fog. Clear sky app was showing red for few but strangely enough I observed no dew at all while imaging. I had my dew heater on but usually everything else is wet, but not last night.

To the OP the last time I had dew it looked more uniform across the image, almost like thin clouds had rolled in.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chefgage said:

That was the same for my area minus the fog. Clear sky app was showing red for few but strangely enough I observed no dew at all while imaging. I had my dew heater on but usually everything else is wet, but not last night.

To the OP the last time I had dew it looked more uniform across the image, almost like thin clouds had rolled in.

I should say, it looks like dew if you don't have a dew heater running, where in my experience I got bigger droplets forming, with a dew heater the droplets are smaller and there are more of them, which can make things look more uniform across the image as you mention.

• Thanks 1

I dont blame you for keeping it, reminds me of the winner of the Astrophotography Picture of the year 2020, only more appealing to the eye, despite the purely accidental effect.

Edited by gilesco
typo
  • Haha 1