Meridian flip issue

Rustang

So I set out tonight to shoot the North American nebula. Not wonting to mess around with doing a flip I decided to wait until 5mins after the nebula had supossibly crossed the line then sent the scope off to target. The mount slewed to what I believe was the right side but then stopped and EQ ASCOM stopped tracking and stated 'meridian limit'!? But if it was on the correct side to continue with out issues why is this the case and how would I continue the mount tracking again!? 

Edited by Rustang

Had exactly the same issue myself last night and was about to post the question. Using NINA, which did the flip just fine, but after the flip ASCOM was saying meridian limit reached. Only started tracking again once I unticked mount limits in ASCOM, bu that doesn't feel like a good idea! I'm sure we are missing something here!

OK, have watched that and now understand how to set the meridian limits but I'm still not sure what interaction has caused eqmod / NINA (in my case) to go wrong.

Is it that the default eqmod limit is being met before NINA attempts to do the flip? So once the flip is done its too late and tracking is already paused due to mount limits? 

Thanks

Ed

I think its something to do with the parameters that have been set, maybe its in a 'play it really safe mode' if the current parameters see/or thinks that there's an issue (camera hitting mount etc) about to occur and stops at that 'meridian limit' I maybe wrong but I think its something to do with the weights going over the horizontal line (RA axis) so getting to high!!!? Maybe after setting slightly less 'safe' parameters it will work. I didnt do a flip though, I waited until my target was across the med line and then slewed my scope which rotated to the correct side to then track west but still stated it was at its limit, the camera to be fair was close to the mount but wasnt going to hit, maybe I didnt wait long enough for the target to cross before the scopes position was safe enough to proceed the reason I say that is because I gave up on the North American Neb and went on to the Veil, the Veil was further across the line and I had no issues with it, bang on target and off it went tracking for the night. From what I know I believe your safe around an hour after crossing (mount, equipment depending!) so maybe the parameters are not set for that to give you some wiggle room so the reason we have all reached our 'limit' is because the current settings are to tight to the med line limit!!?

I'm still learning so I've probably got all of the above wrong or not quiet right :)

Edited by Rustang

2 hours ago, Rustang said:

Maybe after setting slightly less 'safe' parameters it will work.

Hi

I think it better to have the defaults ultra-safe. Otherwise you could end up doing €xk's worth of damage as the camera hits the mount. 'But no-one told me, m'lud!'  With a long tube, it could be just minutes before before collision occurs.

The first two or three flips you do, probably best to be in attendance. Or have a few dry runs in daytime using a planetarium app.

Cheers

6 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

I think it better to have the defaults ultra-safe. Otherwise you could end up doing €xk's worth of damage as the camera hits the mount. 'But no-one told me, m'lud!'  With a long tube, it could be just minutes before before collision occurs.

The first two or three flips you do, probably best to be in attendance. Or have a few dry runs in daytime using a planetarium app.

Cheers

Yup 100% I would always stand by the mount ready to switch off when ever doing anything like this until you are 100% happy with the process. I totally agree why the parameters are there, there is alot of stuff that's still new to me so its good to learn. I was just thinking a little tweak (not a couple of hours past!) to the parameters may mean that If I was to do the same again, it would bring the camera slightly closer to the mount but still be able to continue tracking. I could always do a dry run with no camera attached.  

• Like 1