Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Plate solving and Mac OS

Is anyone using a plate solver in conjunction with Mac OS, Atik Dusk, PHD. And without ASCOM which I can't use for a Mac. Everything seems to be geared towards Windows. Have spent hours trying to find the best route through this but have hit a wall. Thanks in advance

There are a few MacOS-based users of Kstars/Ekos/INDI here I believe, which does do plate solving.  Ekos has a built-in guider, but can use PHD if you prefer it.  Or are you dead set on using Dusk?

James

4 minutes ago, JamesF said:

There are a few MacOS-based users of Kstars/Ekos/INDI here I believe, which does do plate solving.  Ekos has a built-in guider, but can use PHD if you prefer it.  Or are you dead set on using Dusk?

James

Thank you. Doesn't have to be Dusk, but I need something that will operate my Atik filter wheel also. Ekos sounds good if it guides and no, I don't have to use PHD if it means keeping things simple reducing different software programmes. Would it also change filters for narrowband imaging? Will check it out. 

11 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Yes, it will do all of those things as far as I'm aware, though I don't use it on a Mac so don't take my word as gospel :)

James

Thanks James. Checked it out and it does do all those things. 

I use Ekos on a Mac and it will do almost everything. Platesolving works fast using ASTAP (downloaded) rather than Astrometry online. The new multi-star guiding might just have banished PHD2 and others to the bench. Automatic meridian flip, various focus algorithms, really good Polar Alignment.........

2 hours ago, MarkAR said:

I use Ekos on a Mac and it will do almost everything. Platesolving works fast using ASTAP (downloaded) rather than Astrometry online. The new multi-star guiding might just have banished PHD2 and others to the bench. Automatic meridian flip, various focus algorithms, really good Polar Alignment.........

Thanks. Have downloaded ASTAP and EKOS. Looks baffling but will try to find my way through 😬

I use KStars which includes EKOS and INDI (for controlling hardware including mounts, cameras, focusers etc) on a Mac. I’ve never heard of ASTAP.  Plate-solving, polar alignment and guiding are included in KStars/EKOS/INDI anyway.   It took me a bit of time to get plate solving to work because you have to download the right star database that matches the focal length of your set up.  

13 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

I use KStars which includes EKOS and INDI (for controlling hardware including mounts, cameras, focusers etc) on a Mac. I’ve never heard of ASTAP.  Plate-solving, polar alignment and guiding are included in KStars/EKOS/INDI anyway.   It took me a bit of time to get plate solving to work because you have to download the right star database that matches the focal length of your set up.  

Thanks. Okay. I've used ASTAP previously, but as a stacking software alternative to Starry Sky Stacker.

Looking at the KStars and Ekos... KStars is pretty straight forward, similar to SkySafari which I have been using. Ekos and INDI are a bit baffling even after watching online videos. Where can you get tuition for setting up and understanding these things? Would pay £40 per hour of Zoom time for help to get my head around this. Any takers? 

😀 save your money. If I could navigate through it anyone can. It is a bit confusing.  When you download KStars, EKOS and INDI come with it.  There are several videos made by the person who developed Stellarmate - the remote device that allows you to connect your computer or tablet to your equipment over WiFi.  But if you’re just connecting to the mount and kit directly over wire you can ignore the stuff about Stellarmate. Here’s a link to his intro YouTube video. He has several tutorial videos on YouTube. https://youtu.be/6G45DbEoP5s

The other thing that’s useful is the KStars Handbook.  https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/extragear-edu/kstars/index.html

31 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

😀 save your money. If I could navigate through it anyone can. It is a bit confusing.  When you download KStars, EKOS and INDI come with it.  There are several videos made by the person who developed Stellarmate - the remote device that allows you to connect your computer or tablet to your equipment over WiFi.  But if you’re just connecting to the mount and kit directly over wire you can ignore the stuff about Stellarmate. Here’s a link to his intro YouTube video. He has several tutorial videos on YouTube. https://youtu.be/6G45DbEoP5s

The other thing that’s useful is the KStars Handbook.  https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/extragear-edu/kstars/index.html

When it got into the StellarMate section I was lost.  I am connecting directly, so thanks for the tip.

• 1 month later...

Hello. I’ve had some success using cloudmakers Astroimager, astroguider and their astrometry software. Astrometry (Plate solver) is free but can integrate seamlessly with astroimager or be used on its own. It works locally or online with astrometry.net. The software is very affordable. Documentation is a bit sparse but the support I have received has been VERY good. In discussions with the creator of the software it looks like a new version is in the works that will support automated meridian flips. It is based on indi drivers, not ascom and all my macs seem quite pleased with the experience. :)There are free demos. Give it a shot. 

Edited by Goldflece