Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade 102mm

I purchased a Meade102mm scope that came with a barlow2x, a 9mm and 24mm eyepiece.  I am dissapointed that it really does not show much.  The best was the moons of Jupiter which were tiny images.  Was I expecting too much from this scope?

10 minutes ago, Susanm said:

I purchased a Meade102mm scope that came with a barlow2x, a 9mm and 24mm eyepiece.  I am dissapointed that it really does not show much.  The best was the moons of Jupiter which were tiny images.  Was I expecting too much from this scope?

Th moons of Jupiter will still be tiny images virtually no matter what you pay for a scope. 

John

OK. The 26mm eyepiece is OK but the two others aren’t as good but still should be usable. The barlow is very poor though and the erect prism diagonal is not the best either. 

However you should see a fair bit with it. Jupiter will be very small through it but you should just be able to make out the cloud bands but the moons will just be points of light. A common mistake beginners make is to use too much magnification.

Well worth reading this thread. It’s fairly long but will help youto get an idea of what you can see with a small telescope.

705780C8-450B-459E-9D11-1B37B7F9D2CA.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

I was told by using this lens I should see rings of Saturn.  Celestron X-Cel LX 5mm Eyepiece (1.25").   Along with 2x Barlow.  Not sure how much I would really see and if I should purchase.  

The 5mm X-Cel LX eyepiece is a good one and will be a big improvement over the stock low quality ones. You wouldn’t want to use the barlow on the 5mm eyepiece though 

The BST Starguiders are a great buy and would be ideal but not sure about a US retailer.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/search/for/starguider/

Edited by johninderby

So I’m still up in the air if I should purchase the Celestron X-Cel LX 5mm Eyepiece (1.25") or something else.    Definitely do not see color with what I have. Really disappointed with what the Meade 102mm 6inch Offers.  Of course I understand budget is a factor.

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

The BST Starguiders are a great buy and would be ideal but not sure about a US retailer.

Hi Susanm and welcome to SGL.  The American supplier for the StarGuiders are Agena Astro, I have bought from them many times, great service, found here:

https://agenaastro.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=starguider

Good luck and clear skies!

7 hours ago, Susanm said:

So I’m still up in the air if I should purchase the Celestron X-Cel LX 5mm Eyepiece (1.25") or something else.    Definitely do not see color with what I have. Really disappointed with what the Meade 102mm 6inch Offers.  Of course I understand budget is a factor.

If you are looking a galaxies, they will not appear in colour to the eye. The human eye is not adapted for low-level light vision.

Certain filters, i.e. UHC or OIII do enhance viewing, fine detail and block certain wavelengths of the light spectrum. I find the Neodymium is my 'Swiss-army knife' filter for general viewing. It may not show colour, but teases some detail that the eye alone may not be able to see.

I am sceptical about using colour filters for viewing, i.e. #27 (red) / #58 (yellow) / #80A (blue), for viewing the planets, but for viewing the Moon a variable polarising filter is/can be useful, as is the Neodymium, especially when it is either side of a near or close to and full Moon.