Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 120ED=DS and Quark

valleyman

Hi Guys

Is it OK to use a SW 120 ED Pro with a Daystar Quark H Alpha

The 120 has a F/number of F/7.5 

I have done it with a 80ED and Quark and  a Baader Continuum Filter before but is the 120 going to be OK.

regards

Pat

Baader Solar Continuum Filter

On 30/08/2020 at 09:23, valleyman said:

Hi Guys

Is it OK to use a SW 120 ED Pro with a Daystar Quark H Alpha

The 120 has a F/number of F/7.5 

I have done it with a 80ED and Quark and  a Baader Continuum Filter before but is the 120 going to be OK.

regards

Pat

Baader Solar Continuum Filter

The short answer is : Yes. No problem.

However, both suppliers that I have talked with (FLO and Astroshop.de) both recommend a UV/IR Cut Filter.

I've used my Quark without filter on my ED80. For one viewing session of about 1 hour, I have also used it filterless in my 120mm f/8,33. No problems.

Ultimately I did decide to spare the Quark from unnecessary energy and opted for the UV/IR Filter. It's a minor investment compared to the Quark. I have no documentation for this, but in my mind I'm sparing my Quark and thus prolonging its life. 

But once again; Daystar themselves say that you can use it up to aperture 120mm without any additional filters. My experience with it gives me no reason to doubt it.