Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron OmniXLT 127

Good scope and  good mount although it’s a manual EQ mount using slo-mo controls. New price is £399.00. Had the same OTA once (Nexstar 5 version) and really liked it and gave great views for a 5” SCT and can certainly recommend it. 

The big thing to consider is do you want a GOTO or will manual slo-mo controls be good enough for you.

The CG4 mount is essentially the same as the Skywatcher EQ3. You can fit motors to the mount to make it a simple motorised mount and I think the Synscan EQ3 Pro upgrade kit will fit as well.

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Good scope and  good mount although it’s a manual EQ mount using slo-mo controls. New price is £399.00. Had the same OTA once (Nexstar 5 version) and really liked it and gave great views for a 5” SCT and can certainly recommend it. 

The big thing to consider is do you want a GOTO or will manual slo-mo controls be good enough for you.

The CG4 mount is essentially the same as the Skywatcher EQ3. You can fit motors to the mount to make it a simple motorised mount and I think the Synscan EQ3 Pro upgrade kit will fit as well.

Could I use the tripod with the AZ-GTI, and would that mount bear the weight of that scope ....

The 5” SCT should be fine on the AZ-GTi mount.

The CG4 tripod would need an adaptor to a 3/8” fitting. Think this would fit the CG4 tripod but not 100% sure but FLO should know.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/berlebach-tripods/bb_3-8_m10_adaptor_500614.html

Another thing you could do is simply sell the CG4 moint and tripod and buy a Skywatcher 3/8 fitting tripod.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/sky-watcher-38-stainless-steel-tripod.html

Edited by johninderby

I got the Omni 127XLT, just for the OTA, because they were selling at only £ 29 dearer than just the OTA. I have not used the mount yet, but the tripod is fine, the CG4 is very similar to my EQ3/2, maybe a little larger. I will not comment on the mount, but the OTA is great and is my most used scope. It fits just fine on the AZGTi and on a Horizon 8115 2-Way Heavy Duty Tripod, very lightweight and definitely grab and go!  Highly recommended especially if you can find one new, especially if you can find it at Johninderbys' price. £399 @johninderby:smiley:

It will be the last scope I sell...