NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Patrick Moore's Guide to Astronomy...

36 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Good to see the old boy again. Those were the days - when Saturn had a mere 20 moons.

Three inch refractor or six inch reflector was always His stock answer to "what is the best telescope to do useful work"

Because of this advice I ended up with a three inch f16 refractor in 1981. This served me until I sold it in 1997.

I do miss seeing him on television.

17 minutes ago, Paul M said:

This is everything that the The Sky At Night should be! I know all of that already but never bore of it. 

Better quality, I'm afraid! 🙄

Thanks for posting this, I've been watching as many documentaries about space as I can find recently. Still new to all this and I'm trying to learn as much as I can before my scope arrives.

I've just finished watching The Planets on BBC Iplayer and I thoroughly enjoyed that. Brian Cox documentary, worth checking out if you've not seen it.

1 hour ago, HutchStar said:

Thanks for posting this, I've been watching as many documentaries about space as I can find recently. Still new to all this and I'm trying to learn as much as I can before my scope arrives.

I've just finished watching The Planets on BBC Iplayer and I thoroughly enjoyed that. Brian Cox documentary, worth checking out if you've not seen it.

The planets, my bedtime viewing. So relaxing and opens the mind. He makes even me understand things 😆

I do think this is were both satellite/cable broadcasting and public service broadcasting such as the BBC, Channel 4 and 5 fail miserably. About the only hobby activity that gets any coverage on any channel is fishing on one of the Discovery channels. There is enough space for there to be at least some sort of community broadcasting aimed at people's hobbies, interests, pastimes. But they'd rather focus on glitzy productions with travel budgets so they can set up a scene, then do the set-up, then a short spiel which lacks any real content, then move to the next scene and repeat. They seem to be afraid of having talking heads providing solid content.  

• Like 1