Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mounting Raspberry PI and Power box to telescope

I'm buying a DSD DC Hub 2 and a Raspberry PI and wanting to mount them to the side of my telescope. Is sticking velcro on the telescope it being a round surface safe for not falling off okay? Also will peeling the sticky side off, damage the scopes cosmetics?

My other idea would be getting an aluminium plate, drilling a couple of holes and mounting it where my guide scope would go, allowing space for mounting both.

Anyone have any other mounting ideas?

• matt_baker changed the title to Mounting Raspberry PI and Power box to telescope

I bought an extra long Losmandy bar to mount my Pegasus box to and have literally just made a plate to fir my Pi to the extension column.

Made the plates for the Pegasus so I could mount it crossways and tuck away some cables.

IMG_1274.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

The Velcro adhesive will not pull the paint off the scope but I find that except for the very lightest of installations its not the best when coupling round to flat objects. its also prone to creep over time if there is a cable load tugging all the time.

The flat aluminium plate mounting works best long term.

3M do a tape called VHB. a half inch square on each corner of (say) a USB hub stuck to a flat surface and its there for life. The tape is not cheap but its the best.

As I have the stepper motor on one side of the focuser I have velcroed the Pi (it weighs next to nothing) to the flat end of the other side and the UPBV2 is bolted to the extra long bar as MarkAR has done.

p.s. I have tidied the cables now.

IMG_2931.jpg