NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

C11 or c9.25 for Norway conditions

Hi guys!

I'm gonna buy a new scope. I'm currently owning a SkyMax 180. Wich I use with a 1.6x barlow. This produces nice results Frome time to time. 

After doing alot of research in aperture I now struggle with the choice. Is it in fact the aperture or the high focal lengths that is responsible for bad seeing? 

I got my heart set on c11 and the focal length is 2800 contra skymaxen 2700. All help is appreciated.

Seeing is an atmospheric problem which will show up in any scope. It's more obvious at higher powers.

Is your Skymax getting the time to equalise with the outside temperature?  If not, that can give rise to turbulance in the tube which causes poor viewing. Are you observing across the top of buildings or other concrete structures?  Those collect heat during the daytime and radiate it back out at night, again causing disturbance in the air. If you have the opportunity to observe over a grassy area that would help. How are your skies, whispy clouds or very clear? Ours are pretty poor at the moment.

I use a C9.25 and it's the biggest I'd like to go with a scope that requires taking outside to observe. The C11 is a lot bigger and heavier - something to consider, depending on your circumstances.

Thanks alot for the replay.

I have a little carrige with wheels or what you call it. I load up everything on that and I walk with it to my nearest best location. So the size is not that big of a deal for me. So I guess I'll go for the c11. Really hope I can get it home before the season is over. 

I actually got some of my best views over my neighbors house. But I notice the problem really well.. it's radiating warmth.

Hi, I use a c11 XLT, it is light enough to carry even by me, lol. Probably at the high end of portability. Gives great views. I two fans on the primary mirror which helps in cool down. I'd go for the biggest you can get and be portable. I no longer transport mine as it's observatory based. Great scope though. You'll need a focal reducer though for DSO's, it's more suited to planetary and lunar observation and imaging. 

IMG_20200823_130144.jpg