Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Question about telescope

I'm looking into buying an 8" dobsonian. I'll be using it initially for lunar and planetary views, but as I get more practisedI will want to use it for viewing DSOs also. I've been looking at the Skyliner 200P as Skywatcher have a reasonable name, and they seem to be of decent quality. F6 also seems to be a good all round telescope.

However I have come across an 8.5 inch F8 telescope for sale not too far away at a reasonable price. Does this sound like it would be a good all rounder also? I know it's probably slightly more suited to planetary opbservations, but do people think it would be suitable for DSOs too? Also it is unbranded but the seller seems knowkledgable and straifght-talking. The primary mirror has been recoated and is diffraction limited, and all appears to be above board. 

Any thoughts?

7 hours ago, Jm1973 said:

I'm looking into buying an 8" dobsonian. I'll be using it initially for lunar and planetary views, but as I get more practisedI will want to use it for viewing DSOs also. I've been looking at the Skyliner 200P as Skywatcher have a reasonable name, and they seem to be of decent quality. F6 also seems to be a good all round telescope.

However I have come across an 8.5 inch F8 telescope for sale not too far away at a reasonable price. Does this sound like it would be a good all rounder also? I know it's probably slightly more suited to planetary opbservations, but do people think it would be suitable for DSOs too? Also it is unbranded but the seller seems knowkledgable and straifght-talking. The primary mirror has been recoated and is diffraction limited, and all appears to be above board. 

Any thoughts?

I'm a complete newbie since April and more knowledgable members will be along shortly but a lot of people in here say the skyliner 200p is a great scope but as you know there's not one scope that does everything and why a lot of members here have two scopes or more, you'd have to track manually when taking images with the dobsonian I think. Obviously the faster the f ratio of the scope the better the views for dso and the slower f ratio better for lunar and planetary, so something in the middle may suffice, I have a skywatcher 150p f5 and skymax 127 f12 to cover both aspects of viewing, skywatcher are a great brand are are highly recommended, I can't offer advice on the unbranded scope but sounds ok and you would see some dso as I have seen dso with my skymax 127 at a slow f ratio, its always, said aperture is king in scopes so 8.5inch is a nice size. If the seller can say what they've seen or show images they've taken would be good. Clear skies and someone with better advice will be along shortly. 😉

I own a 8.75" f7.5 newtonian and it is a much bigger scope than the 8" f6, which I also own. I think the f8 scope you mention may be and older scope and may require some updating? Ie modern focuser and finder etc? Or does it have those already? It should provide really nice views but would be a handful to use due to size and length. 

Edited by CraigT82

An 8.5” F/8 is a very long scope but should have a small secondary so may be great on the planets.

Perhaps you can go take a look to see if you are ok with it’s length ?

The Skyliner 200P is a very capable and easy to handle scope, I had one and it was VERY sharp, sadly a bad back forced it’s sale 🙁

Edited by dweller25

This is my (home built) 8.75" f/7.3 from 1998.  Sorry for the picture quality, but it does show the length of the tube. The main issue is getting it in a car, which requires the seats down and the passenger seat moving as forward as it will go.

Cracking on planets, but quite reasonable on DSO. I spent a good few years enjoying the views though this.

image.png.05dddf4d0513a890e3c57ce1f4271b3c.png