Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cocktails under canopies of canvas and stars

Been digging though old photos of trips away (unsurprising in the current difficult environment) and found myself looking at our 2015 trip to Benguerra Island in Mozambique. On the beach is an old Dhow fishing vessel which came ashore during a typhoon and they converted it into a bar. It is pretty amazing place to have a drink.

991CF07A-FC6A-4A9B-95F2-BC673583E57E.thumb.jpeg.ad9c6456c56f903c8c4fe1c5a5471051.jpeg

We also visited in 2019 and this time much earlier in the year when the central Milky Way was rising rather than setting. Provides a nice contrast. The canvass has expanded over those 4 years and the girl at the bar was now my wife rather than girlfriend.

5F56891D-7CB9-4CA7-96E1-41B9C36A8D00.jpeg.79abecf261ca6221f8bbc369e628cf77.jpeg

Both images are composites with foreground and background images taking moments apart. The 2015 image was 2 sec foreground at ISO800 and the background was 20 secs at ISO5000. Both at f/2.8 and 22mm focal length. I think I pushed the ISO a bit much and the sky is a bit grainy.

The 2019 image was 2 sec foreground and 25 sec background at ISO3200 with the same camera and lens.

All processing in Lightroom and combined with a layers mask in photoshop.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Brilliant images but oh so cruel when I have just had to cancel our holiday to Spain due to be taken in 3 weeks time. 

Steve

That sucks, sorry to hear that. We cancelled our plans for the year back in April as I was rather pessimistic about how this year would play out. We are doing a staycation later this year. Hoping we do not fall foul of local lockdowns, as will be packing a scope. Won’t be the Bortle Class 1/2 that the island above benefits from but will be nice to escape central London light pollution.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

That sucks, sorry to hear that. We cancelled our plans for the year back in April as I was rather pessimistic about how this year would play out. We are doing a staycation later this year. Hoping we do not fall foul of local lockdowns, as will be packing a scope. Won’t be the Bortle Class 1/2 that the island above benefits from but will be nice to escape central London light pollution.

Same here, managed to hire a couple of cottages (one about 10 miles from hastings and then up to lincolnshire) also taking dog and scope so hoping for some fairly dark skies and some clear skies.

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...