NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Strange image in Skywatcher Evostar 150ED mirror

Hi,  I am hoping someone on here might be able to help or advise what this image is that i am seeing through my scope.

I have just got a delivery of a brand new Skywatcher Evostar 150 ED
I was just going about a few things checking it out.
I am completely new to these scope as i have always been using a Dobsonian.

I put a diagonal on and had a quick look through it and found what i thought was a smudge mark,   
Thinking it was in the diagonal i tool it off but that was clear.
Then just looking straight through the scope i could still see it.
Thinking it was something on the front of the lens,  had a look but all clear.
It appears to be inside of the scope.
I have attached a photo of it in the hope someone might be able to tell me what it is before i contact the company i purchased it off in Australia.
( Sorry first time at trying to attach an image on here )

To help explain the image a bit,  the grey is just a background to help show the defect in question.
What i am asking about is the triangles that you can see,  
What are they?
Is this normal?
Is there an issue with the scope that i need to send it back?telescope.thumb.jpg.bcbb061201500b6bbc32b850ed1bf87b.jpg

Thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately it isn't a reflection from a window,  I have moved the scope around inside the garage here and that image remains.

I have just got a grey background in the photo to show the suspect image a bit more clearly.

I wasn't sure if there is something wrong and have to send it straight back,

Just looks a tad odd with the detailed triangle images,   Possibly collimation?

If so i wouldn't even know where to start with that on these scopes,  used to Dobsonians.

Thanks for the reply,

I can see where you are coming from,  

It just shows up better in the photo due to the photo,  If i move it around 180 degrees or anywhere really it still is there,  just harder to see without the bright background.

The scope didn't come with a operation manual or anything,  so now if the dew shield is removable, or extendable at all,  it feels permanently attached.

5 hours ago, bluesilver said:

Thanks for the reply,

I can see where you are coming from,  

It just shows up better in the photo due to the photo,  If i move it around 180 degrees or anywhere really it still is there,  just harder to see without the bright background.

The scope didn't come with a operation manual or anything,  so now if the dew shield is removable, or extendable at all,  it feels permanently attached.

The dew shield should unscrew so you can have a closer look. Definitely looks like reflections to me; I can’t think of anything internally which would create that pattern.

Give it a try at night, or even on a daytime target to see what happens.

• Cornelius Varley changed the title to Strange iamge in Skywatcher Evostar 150ED mirror
  • Cornelius Varley changed the title to Strange image in Skywatcher Evostar 150ED mirror