NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QHY9 vertical banding problem

tooth_dr

Past two nights I've noticed a problem with my QHY9 camera.  Initially I took a few images, to assess framing and focus, and all was ok.  But then the images started appearing as blank, and there was no histogram visible in the software.  I increased the exposure time to 20s and a starry image appeared but it has a broad white band down the centre of the image, covering about 10% of the image.  I tried updating the drivers and changing the USB leads, but the problem still persisted.  I tried at 0 degrees and -20 degrees but not much difference.  The shape of the white pattern changes, and in some cases it decreased to three single white lines  Any ideas what is going on here?  The camera is second hand, and I've only used it a couple of times, but on both those occasions it performed fine.  Otherwise I've not changed anything in terms of power supplies etc.

Any input welcome.

TIA

Adam.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Adam, What software have you used to capture your images as I have had problems using the later updates in SGPro with vertical banding issues. Tries capturing images using the QHY EZCAP and see if the problems persist. 

Regards SGPro I now use version 3.1.0.457 for my QHY8 Pro and do not get any banding issues.

Steve

Using SGP my frame and focus images on an Atik 383 have all kinds of artefacts such as white bars at the top or banding, but the downloaded and saved images from the sequence are fine. Frame and focus on a Moravian G2-8300 is OK. I seem to recall there is a fast download option that needs to be disabled for some cameras?

1 hour ago, tomato said:

Using SGP my frame and focus images on an Atik 383 have all kinds of artefacts such as white bars at the top or banding, but the downloaded and saved images from the sequence are fine. Frame and focus on a Moravian G2-8300 is OK. I seem to recall there is a fast download option that needs to be disabled for some cameras?

There has been an ongoing issue in SGPro that has been documented in the SGPro forum regarding banding on QHY cameras. This affects final images as well as frame  & focus and whether it's been resolved in the latest ver. 3.1.0.544 I don't know as I'm not imaging with my QHY8 Pro presently.

Steve

13 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

Hi Adam, What software have you used to capture your images as I have had problems using the later updates in SGPro with vertical banding issues. Tries capturing images using the QHY EZCAP and see if the problems persist. 

Regards SGPro I now use version 3.1.0.457 for my QHY8 Pro and do not get any banding issues.

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve.  I have tried QHY EZCAP and SGPro both, and the same banding persists.  Last night I also tried a different PC, and different USB cables, and even a different DC-201 power supply.  I have two QHY9 cameras so I swopped over the cameras last night and the banding wasnt there, so it looks very much like a camera issue.

1 hour ago, tomato said:

Thanks also tomato!  Yes the artefacts are present in normal images as well as frame and focus mode.  I've tried fast normal and slow downloads also no difference.

I've attached an image of the fault below.

The strange thing is last night was that it worked 100% for 10-20 minutes, then the banding just appeared.  And even with the banding, I could still see the brighter stars in the image.  So it's still recording data but something else is happening.

My plan this evening is to remove the CCD chamber and check for moisture inside it.  This is the only thing left to do before binning it.

The sensor was at 13.2 degrees as I had shut off the cooler and was packing up, but it is the same no matter what temp.

606136349_qhy9defect.thumb.jpg.6d0ddbce25199e0940821936d7aa843e.jpg

Edited by tooth_dr

18 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

Hi Adam, Your image shows there is an issue with your QHY9. Contact QHY and report the issue via their Ticket System, giving as much information, images etc... If it does need repair contact Bern @Modern Astronomy I would not advise sending the camera to QHY yourself.

Steve

Cheers Steve, I've just opened a ticket.  

I came across this link on their forum, but I cant get the photos to work to see if its the same issue as mine.

https://www.qhyccd.com/bbs/index.php?topic=3802.0

1 hour ago, sloz1664 said:

The same here Adam, could not open the image. some sort of parsing issue. If you feel confident, try opening the QHY9 and see if it's a moisture issue or wait for the replay from QHY.

Steve 

Opened it up there. Removed dust, cleaned with alcohol, rebuilt so will test again later and keep you posted 🤞🏻 

C31E7D4A-56AC-4FF5-A3F5-191E432269A0.jpeg

D5E926BF-C1A3-4A23-AB80-E04DFA558021.jpeg

9FC61FD9-946E-40DE-9071-D3FED42EC9B2.jpeg

That looks really pristine, hopefully it should eliminate the banding issue. When you assemble the QHY9 use a hairdryer to warm up the inside of the chamber to eliminate any moisture and put a little grease or Vaseline on the cover threads to create a moisture barrier.

Steve

56 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

That looks really pristine, hopefully it should eliminate the banding issue. When you assemble the QHY9 use a hairdryer to warm up the inside of the chamber to eliminate any moisture and put a little grease or Vaseline on the cover threads to create a moisture barrier.

Steve

Thanks again Steve.  I seen that on the QHY9 manual about the hairdryer, I had printed out a copy of it.  I didnt think about the vaseline though, so I might open it up again and do that.

Bit of an update.  After reassembling and testing, I did a whole night with no banding.  However I did notice some slight occasional horizontal dark interference type lines.  I am out now taking flats and have just realised that the fan isnt working on the camera.  The DC-201 power supply is not showing a red light beside fan, and overall the leds appear dimmer than my other DC-201.  I have swopped things around and confirm the fans are working on both QHY9s.   I didnt hear it not working the other night because the Epsilon has a fan which is loud and drowns out the QHY9.   Im beginning to wonder was this the problem and not the camera?  And when I swopped power supplies the other night the camera was already malfunctioning and needed to cool down.  This would tie in with it being fine for 20 minutes

Edited by tooth_dr

44 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

Hi Adam, What temp did you cool down to? Did you use the hairdryer & sealed the threads.

Steve

I cool to -20 degrees, thats the temp I use with the other QHY9 I have.  I did use the hairdryer, but didnt seal the threads.  I will open and seal again this evening to see if that works better.  QHY customer service got back to me and agreed that it is 100% moisture in the chamber causing the pins to short out.  I'm about to order a new DC-201 as the one I have isnt turning the fan on now.

13 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I cool to -20 degrees, thats the temp I use with the other QHY9 I have.  I did use the hairdryer, but didnt seal the threads.  I will open and seal again this evening to see if that works better.  QHY customer service got back to me and agreed that it is 100% moisture in the chamber causing the pins to short out.  I'm about to order a new DC-201 as the one I have isnt turning the fan on now.

Have you swapped the DC-201 to QHY9 power leads, to see it's not the cable that's at fault.

10 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

Have you swapped the DC-201 to QHY9 power leads, to see it's not the cable that's at fault.

Thanks again Steve. I have tried everything and it’s looking like the DC-201 supply.  When plugged in to 12v the leds are a lot dimmer on that DC-201 and the fan led doesn’t illuminate.  Using the same 12V power supply with other DC-201 all working fine.

I had a look inside it, nothing obvious so I’m just wondering is it worth spending a couple of hours diagnosing it or to just buy a new one at £73.

Edited by tooth_dr

18 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks again Steve. I have tried everything and it’s looking like the DC-201 supply.  When plugged in to 12v the leds are a lot dimmer on that DC-201 and the fan led doesn’t illuminate.  Using the same 12V power supply with other DC-201 all working fine.

I had a look inside it, nothing obvious so I’m just wondering is it worth spending a couple of hours diagnosing it or to just buy a new one at £73.

I purchased another DC-201 and 9 pin cable after I had issues with my QHY8 pro. It eventually had to be repaired at QHY. Hopefully, sealing the threads should do the trick.

Steve

1 hour ago, sloz1664 said:

I purchased another DC-201 and 9 pin cable after I had issues with my QHY8 pro. It eventually had to be repaired at QHY. Hopefully, sealing the threads should do the trick.

Steve

Thanks Steve.  I left the whole disassembled camera in a seal container last night stuff with silica gel, and have just assembled it under the warmth of a blow heater.

The only thing different with this and my other QHY9 is the lack of the desiccant tube.  I am unsure if the desiccant actually does anything - it appears to go in behind the green circuit board, but because I dont use the option optical window (due to backspacing) in either camera, isnt this just in constant communication with open air and therefore pointless trying to dry it?

Edited by tooth_dr

26 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

My QHY8 Pro had horrendous issues with frosting. I purchased an updated front end with updated 3mm glass and the addition of the desiccant tube and I rarely have dewing issues & I live next to a lake.

Steve 

Good to know.  I'll give it whirl later.  Fairly damp here too.  I'll order a desiccant tube now along with the DC-210 from MA, nothing to lose

So to update this again.  I  have ran the camera for 30 minutes now at -20deg C and apart from an initial suggestion of icing, it does seem to be working.  Ive ran off a few flats and all appears ok apart from some dust, probably from the blow heater.

Bern at MA got me a refurbished D-201, and I also ordered the desiccant tube.  £100 I didnt think I would have to spend but thats the way it goes sometimes.

It will take me a while to trust the camera after this.  Thanks for all your input in the thread Steve

image.thumb.png.ec39a031d57de692939b721618bc4a4f.png

Edited by tooth_dr

Further update!  Refurbished DC-201 arrived today, and I tried it there now.  It is reportedly cooling the camera according to SGPro, and the % of cooling is climbing, but the temp reading is remaining static at 20 degrees (ambient).  I stopped the camera cooler at 80% when it was evident it wasnt doing anything.  I tried the other DC-201 I have and it cools the camera immediately showing a drop in temp by a few degrees until it reached xzero.  The new one is not working with either camera and either lead, so looks like a duff one.  This new DC-201 is also getting hot to touch when it's been on for a few seconds, which I dont like.  FFS.

Edited by tooth_dr