NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lakeside focuser not working - any ideas?

fwm891

Hi All,

My Lakeside focuser didn't want to play last night. It's an old version having a ribbon cable between the controller and the motor/gearbox, USB from controller to laptop and 12 VDC connection. V1.3.0 on the display.

I have confirmed the port connection is good (via device manager and simply assigning different port refs). I use it via SG Pro, I've uninstalled the current version and installed an older version which I know the Lakeside works with. Here it connects OK but shows the focuser position as 0 when it should read circa 9500. I've also tried it through the Lakeside utility program but again the motor/controller show a connection but the motor doesn't respond to any key strokes. I tried to do a calibration but it fails to move the focuser to find the ± positions.

I've tried connecting the USB direct to the laptop rather than through a hub - same null result.

I'm guessing it's a failed stepper (6 wire, 2 common and 2 pairs). the gearbox is a 250:3 ratio giving a 4000 step/rev output.

Any thoughts anyone. I think I've covered most bases but electrics arn't my greatest gift!!

Edited by fwm891
text added

1 hour ago, Richie092 said:

Now I have my Pegasus working am happy to send you my lakeside controller and ribbon cable if you would like to borrow and rule them out?

@Richie092

Wow thanks for the offer what a great bunch of people here.

I've just ordered a new ribbon cable from FLO. If that fails to make the grade then I will contact you. Thanks again. I'm guessing it's the stepper it (too) is getting on in life now...

If you have a meter capable of checking resistance you should be able to check the stepper coils are not burnt out fairly easily.

Not sure what resistance they should be but if not open circuit or high resistance then usually will be okay. As @Richie092 the steppers are usually pretty robust and unlikely to be the cause.

Steve

3 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

If you have a meter capable of checking resistance you should be able to check the stepper coils are not burnt out fairly easily.

Not sure what resistance they should be but if not open circuit or high resistance then usually will be okay. As @Richie092 the steppers are usually pretty robust and unlikely to be the cause.

Steve

@teoria_del_big_bang I've taken readings from the 9 pin connector linked to the motor. Readings taken between pairs, pair to pair, pns to common, pins to casing and linked pins...

Lakeside 9 pin connections.jpg

Francis,

I would be pretty happy with those readings. 103 ohms sounds reasonable for each coil and the 52 ohm is to the centre tap and hence half the coil resistance.

Obviously I cannot say 100% it is correct but would expect one coil at least to be almost short circuit or open circuit if any issues but they are look perfectly even. There could still be some issue that only shows up with the higher currents it would have when in use as opposed to the very minuscule current when checking with a meter but as said before these stepper motors are very robust and those checks would make me happy it is fine.

Steve

@teoria_del_big_bang

Thanks Steve, Curiosity got the better of me so I opened up the controller, all looked good no smoke stains, I pressed lightly on each component closed it back up, plugged it in and away it went. No idea what - I guess one of the pins wasn't connected and my light push reconnected it!

So I'ce bought a new cable rather than a new motor and saved a few pounds. Phew.

Currently doing a re calibration.

Thanks again.

• Like 2

I have to agree the control box is flimsy. I leave mine velcroed to the eyepiece tray/spreader on my mount that I don't use for anything. It is also covered up with a mini waterproof bag and I rarely press any of the buttons on it. The rest of the Lakeside kit is well made.

Glad you fixed it though as a new box is expensive.