Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Snapped my slow control knob!

I've got a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ, and whlie I was a bit distracted recently, I turned the RA slow control knob and sheared the end off.

Is there either somewhere I can get a replacement, or a way to fix it? I've checked a few of the online shops, and they only seem to sell the whole telescope now. It looks like I've separated the knob from the wire, so I may be able to glue it back in, but would it be likely to hold? I'm thinking something like epoxy rather than superglue, but I've got no idea how much force it would need to withstand (presumably not much?).

Thanks in advance for your help :)

I suspect it may be hard to fix properly.

Astroboot often have items like this, but I couldn’t see anything just now.

Perhaps a wanted ad on here may turn one up from someone who has one not being used?

• Like 1

On 09/08/2020 at 12:44, Franklin said:

I've got numerous spare slo mo controls. Post a pic of yours and if I got one that will fit its yours for postage.

That's very generous Franklin, thank you :) 

This is mine at the moment:

IMG_20200812_210539.jpg

IMG_20200813_010847.jpg

I may be talking rubbish here, but if you could remove the broken piece from the knob, wouldn't the knob screw onto the remaining stub (maybe with a bit of epoxy)?

If that's the case, then I'd have a go at drilling it out out. You may have to flatten it first with a file and mark the centre with a punch or something.

Edit: Mmmm... sorry, that's pretty much what you had thought about in your original post. I'd go for it, nothing to lose but a bit of time.

Edited by Starwatcher2001
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Starwatcher2001 said:

I may be talking rubbish here, but if you could remove the broken piece from the knob, wouldn't the knob screw onto the remaining stub (maybe with a bit of epoxy)?

If that's the case, then I'd have a go at drilling it out out. You may have to flatten it first with a file and mark the centre with a punch or something.

Edit: Mmmm... sorry, that's pretty much what you had thought about in your original post. I'd go for it, nothing to lose but a bit of time.

Thanks for the reply :) 

Yeah, like you say, that was my initial thought. I don't know how much force it would need to take though. The more I look at it, the more it looks like it is just some sort of epoxy, so I'm going to order some, clean it out, and hope that it works.

Hi Tippon, yeah I got one that would fit, its off a vixen GP2 mount and is longer than the one in the picture. This ones 260mm long. I have no use for it so if you want it I could send it to you for the cost of small parcel postage. (£3.10) Don't know how to go about that on the forum? I guess you would have to PM me your address etc.

IMG_20200814_110810 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20200814_110739.jpg

Edited by Franklin
Add Picture

On 09/08/2020 at 12:44, Franklin said:

I've got numerous spare slo mo controls. Post a pic of yours and if I got one that will fit its yours for postage.

I've just bought a ScopeTech Mount Zero but, having queried whether it came with slow motions, it turned up without.  Unfortunately, the retailer has none in stock and isn't expected to get resupplied for some time.

Can you help please? I'll willingly pay you for them, alternatively make a donation to charity - my wife is an ambassador for Demelza children's hospice.

15978680907143316538283490717348.jpg

On 14/08/2020 at 11:03, Franklin said:

Hi Tippon, yeah I got one that would fit, its off a vixen GP2 mount and is longer than the one in the picture. This ones 260mm long. I have no use for it so if you want it I could send it to you for the cost of small parcel postage. (£3.10) Don't know how to go about that on the forum? I guess you would have to PM me your address etc.

Thanks Franklin, I'll PM you :) 

11 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

I've just bought a ScopeTech Mount Zero but, having queried whether it came with slow motions, it turned up without.  Unfortunately, the retailer has none in stock and isn't expected to get resupplied for some time.

Can you help please? I'll willingly pay you for them, alternatively make a donation to charity - my wife is an ambassador for Demelza children's hospice.

I was in the same position, some time between now and December is what FLO told me, however Rother Valley have just dispatched some.

14 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

Hi there, Astroboot.com has a large selection of slo-mo cables at the moment at very reasonable prices.

On 20/08/2020 at 09:04, Deadlake said:

I was in the same position, some time between now and December is what FLO told me, however Rother Valley have just dispatched some.

Many thanks!  Have just checked the size with Rother Valley Optics who measured the ones they have in stock and say they'll fit.  I've therefore just ordered them.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 14/08/2020 at 11:03, Franklin said:

Hi Franklin :)

I'm really sorry, I just realised that I didn't message you to let you know that the knob arrived. It turned up within a few days, and it's been working perfectly, thank you :)

• Thanks 1