Can anyone help with processing this image?

Took a 1 hour total exposure of cygnus and lyra last night, unfortunately I cannot avoid part of my house in the view til my car gets back from the garage and I can go for a drive.

Anyway, I stacked the images, it used about 46min worth and then I cropped out the house in PS. Here is the cropped stack:

https://mega.nz/file/LNNTnILS#h4bROsV3qdIFi-_pBKM2PyM9QDhaB9CaTB13Ru3MJkM

Here is the original uncropped stack:

https://mega.nz/file/XJNXlSYK#JXE6tY4zcIyw4TAllEAmp-T2p-jXBO8xJKmWKDE5uVw

The problem I'm having while doing my post processing is in extracting detail and colour I seem to get a lot of noise. The picture ends up washed out and messy with some rainbow banding top right. 

I'm using GradientXTerminator btw if that matters, then following guides on using levels and curves to pull out the detail. Seem to be struggling with this one.

If anyone can take a look at it, maybe it's just me? If I'm correct I should be able to pull out some of the milky way too. 

11 hours ago, Skyballer said:

Took a 1 hour total exposure of cygnus and lyra last night, unfortunately I cannot avoid part of my house in the view til my car gets back from the garage and I can go for a drive.

Anyway, I stacked the images, it used about 46min worth and then I cropped out the house in PS. Here is the cropped stack:

https://mega.nz/file/LNNTnILS#h4bROsV3qdIFi-_pBKM2PyM9QDhaB9CaTB13Ru3MJkM

Here is the original uncropped stack:

https://mega.nz/file/XJNXlSYK#JXE6tY4zcIyw4TAllEAmp-T2p-jXBO8xJKmWKDE5uVw

The problem I'm having while doing my post processing is in extracting detail and colour I seem to get a lot of noise. The picture ends up washed out and messy with some rainbow banding top right. 

I'm using GradientXTerminator btw if that matters, then following guides on using levels and curves to pull out the detail. Seem to be struggling with this one.

If anyone can take a look at it, maybe it's just me? If I'm correct I should be able to pull out some of the milky way too. 

I've just had a quick look at your stacked image and had a go at processing it. There's a lot of light pollution which would probably have been too much for GradientXTerminator to deal with.  I had to crop away a lot of the image to get a reasonable background. You did manage to capture some of the Milky Way though!

Colour calibration, stretching and background extraction in Siril, with final processing and slight sharpening in Photoshop.

Tony.

LyraCygnus.jpg

Edited by Taman
  • Like 1

That's awesome, nice to know I can capture the milky way, just need to get out of town. Thanks for taking a look at it :)

I've never used Siril, is there any tutorials you'd recommend for it that could help me take my image and extract this from it?

Thanks

Edited by Skyballer

my humble version with some hings done in PixInsight : color calibration and background thingy , DBE (division), DBE(substraction) , rangemask , curvetransformation ,GAMe mask , curvetransformation , L-extract , HDRtransformation, starmakst , morphylogical tranformation, historgramtransformation , extract L, R,G,B and LRGB-combination . think that is is more or less :) oh yes and SCNR 

did you make raw? or only jpeg? did you used any calibration?

Image28.jpg

On 06/08/2020 at 07:44, Skyballer said:

some of the milky way

ss2.thumb.jpg.3d4fe59bdb32008b2db674a9f962cac2.jpg

Hi

Good shot. There's quite a bit of data here but it's difficult to process due to the artefacts. If you want terrestrial too -nice idea- perhaps better to take two shots, one for each?

Anyway, there is some mw there. If you want more, you could use a longer lens, stopped to f5.6 perhaps and take flat frames. An astro-modified camera would help bring forward the colour, and of course more exposure.

HTH

Autosave-ap.jpg.f6072c6a9b4d7f2fd11489fdd9280909.jpg

Thanks all for taking the time to look at my image!

It's a funny one, what's causing all that noise/static? Was my first go with the samyang 14mm, maybe the wide lens just took in too much of the light pollution that my 50mm wasn't before?

Will check out sequator.

Next clear night though I'm going out of town. I live about 30min drive from one of only 2 dark sky parks in the UK, or 15min I can go up to the base of the cairngorm mountains, it's out of town and up high and long clear views of the sky.