NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

MARS MAPPER for the 2020 Opposition.

paulastro

For some years Ade Ashford has created the Mars Mapper (showing the face of Mars at any time during the opposition as seen through a telescope) which appeared on the Astronomy Now website.  I have always found it useful, but this year I noticed it was not on the website.  I was speaking to Ade yesterday and asked him why it hadn't appeared.  The reason was that he is no longer involved with the website.  I told him that  I (and others) found it useful and it was a shame it wasn't available.  Ade kindly said he would update it for this opposition and send me a link to it.  Not only that, but he said he'd be quite happy to let me share it with others who may find it of some use.  What a gentleman!

Here's the link:

http://www.nightskies.net/mars/mars.html#

Please feel free to pass it to anyone you know who may find it useful.

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Great little resource. Thanks for asking him about it Paul. 

I've been very tempted to by the very interesting little scope Ade is selling on ukabs (Celestron Comet Catcher) but have managed to restrain myself, so far! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

I've been very tempted to by the very interesting little scope Ade is selling on ukabs (Celestron Comet Catcher) but have managed to restrain myself, so far! 

That’s an interesting looking little scope! Does the meniscus lens correct for coma so you don’t need a paracorr?

5 hours ago, markse68 said:

That’s an interesting looking little scope! Does the meniscus lens correct for coma so you don’t need a paracorr?

Yes apparently... Pin sharp stars edge to edge according to reviews I could find online.

Please buy it and save me! 

Edited by CraigT82
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Please buy it and save me! 

if I were into photography i might- it does look v interesting! But right now I’m not and too invested in the old fullerscope so sorry Craig- I cant help you this time😉 😂

Does anyone know of a similar tool for Jupiter? I’ve tried a few times to confirm whether I’ve glimpsed the GRS but I’m never really sure whereabouts on the surface it should be at a given observation time, and therefore whether it is what I’m seeing or not.

Tim

9 minutes ago, AstroTim said:

Does anyone know of a similar tool for Jupiter? I’ve tried a few times to confirm whether I’ve glimpsed the GRS but I’m never really sure whereabouts on the surface it should be at a given observation time, and therefore whether it is what I’m seeing or not.

Tim

Check out WinJupos (http://jupos.org/gh/download.htm) for all the planets, and JupiterMoons app from Sky&Telescope (https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/jupiters-moons-javascript-utility/) just for Jupiter, which app can also be installed on an iPhone or iPad.

Looks like SkySafari might be on offer at the moment too. £19.99 for the pro version, which is listed at $39.99 full price on their web site (unless it’s one of those permanent price reductions)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2020 at 00:19, AstroTim said:

Looks like SkySafari might be on offer at the moment too. £19.99 for the pro version, which is listed at $39.99 full price on their web site (unless it’s one of those permanent price reductions)

Not permanent but fairly frequent I think- that’s how i got mine and as i use it every time i take my scope out, well worth it i think  :)

• Like 1