Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Visual scope for beginner

1 minute ago, Allinthehead said:

I've been asked by a friend to recommend a scope for visual use. Budget would be £500. Secondhand would be an option too. Would a good set of binoculars be the way to go?

Regards,

Richard.

Yes best to start with Binos 10x50`s will suffice,

Roger

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

I've been asked by a friend to recommend a scope for visual use. Budget would be £500. Secondhand would be an option too. Would a good set of binoculars be the way to go?

Regards,

Richard.

An 8” or 10” Dobsonian would be a good bet. Probably an 8” leaving some budget for accessories such as eyepieces and a Telrad etc. Sky-Watcher and Bresser would be two to look at.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bresser-telescopes/bresser-messier-8-dobsonian-telescope.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks everyone for the response. Would space and storage be an issue with a Dob? 

Good call. I can pass on my copy to him.

For a standard 8" or 10" dob you need a space about two feet square and four feet high, which is actually less space than for a tripod mounted scope that is stored "assembled". 

• Thanks 1

i would second the idea of a Dob ... i had a bresser 10" which was great . It was a bit of a pain for me though as i had to move it up and down stairs when i wanted to use it .... but ... the set up time is so fast on these scopes . What about the mount for the scope , the dob would come with a mount so thats another plus . 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks everyone for the response. Would space and storage be an issue with a Dob? 

They are not small bits of kit, but are fairly compact in terms of floor area when upright. Would you use it at home, and need to transport it to a darker site? Worth considering any challenges this may pose, stairs/steps, car big enough etc

• Thanks 1