Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sol - 31 July 2020 - AR2768, AR2767 & Prom

Hughsie

Busy day today.

According to Spaceweather Live, AR2768 is coming around the north western limb. The large prominence is still doing its thing and we are soon to say good bye to AR2767.

Best 200 out of 1,000 frames stacked in AutoStakkert 2, initially processing in ImPPG and tweaked a bit in PixInsight.

I was out imaging the green channel for my Iris Nebula project last night and so removed the WO Z103 imaging scope this morning and swapped it out for my Lunt LS60THa adding the ZWO ASI174mm camera to capture today’s activity.

Thank you for checking in.

John

FD_08_45_56_DBE.png

AR2768_09_09_55.png

PRM_09_18_41.png

• Like 8

Thanks Merlin, this is brilliant.

Earlier today I brought the image up in Affinity Photo and used the rulers tool to measure the diameter of the disc. This came out at 28.12 cm so representing the diameter of the Sun at 1.3927 million km. Next I applied two further rulers to the tip and root of the prominence creating a right angled triangle with the prominence as the hypotenuse. This gave me two sides of the triangle at 2.57 cm and 1.69 cm. Using Pythagorus Theorum I calculated the length of the hypotenuse as the square root of the sum of the squared sides; 3.08 cm. So, if 28.12 cm is equivalent to 1.3927 million km then 3.08 cm is 152,543 km which is certainly close to what the overlay suggests.

John

FD Overlay.png

08_53_33_g5_ap1951_Prom_FD.png

Edited by Hughsie
  • Like 1